Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiple leds, and basic wiring advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am very new to electronics and experimenting with very basic timing circuits using a 3v supply, 2 resistors, a capacitor and an led (red).
I have managed to glean that the forward voltage on an led is approx 2v, so with a 3v supply and a 2000ohm resistor, a 1000uf cap and a 100ohm resistor to connect to ground I get a 2 second delay before the cap reaches 2/3rd voltage i.e. 2 volts, enough to light the led.
swapping the 3v supply for a 9v, how would I be able to set up the same circuit (different R1 and C1 values?) and get the timing delay?

Please forgive my ignorance in wiring matters but I have a question on this basic circuit, why does the led attach between R1 and the cap, and why is a resistor required to go back to ground, why not just a jumper wire?

Why will the resistor followed by the cap followed by the led in series not work?

If I wanted to use a 9v supply to power say 5 red led's, the forward voltage will be approx 10v and therefore some of the leds may not light. If i wire a resistor in series with each led but each led in parallel will all 5 light? Will this just pull 0.1amp of current from the battery (if each led is pulling 0.02a) will each led light up?
Sorry if this is basic but I need to get a firm grasp of the basics before I even attempt to move on to other stuff lol

I'll give you some steps to follow. Assuming the circut is like this (see picture).

How much current goes through the forward resistor when the led lits?

When you applies a 9V battery, how much current should go through the forward resistor to get the led lit?

Hint: It's ohm's law all the way.

Probably not important for you at this time, but I let you read this anyway:
The charge curve for 3V and 9V voltage supply will be different (if you could see it on a scope), even if the delay for a given cap charge is calculated to be the same.
Because of the characteristic of a LED, you won't get it to light fully with excactly the same time delay. But it'l be close enough.

Attachments

• 36.png
    36.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back