Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My circuit eats all the current!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DongBeetle

Hi all
I'm new to electronics, so I hope there is a simple solution to this..
I've designed and build this circuit for driving a solenoid.
electromagnet_switch_web3.jpg

A few things are different from the image, the 1K resistors are 2K2 insted, and I'd like to run it on a 12V 800mA adaptor (gives about 15.25V, and about 5.25 at the 3K3's voltage split)

The solenoid gives a good kick when connected directly to the adaptor, but thru the circuit it seems that all the current is gone!
Is it because of the low gate voltage or!?!

Regards.

it's about 5.2-5.25V between the 3K3 resistors using the 12V adaptor, wich is also kinda wierd I think since the adaptor reads about 15.25V (open circuit I guess) shouldn't it be at least 6V or 7.625V acording to what it reads?

Should I just be using the 12V directly on the gate, perhaps thru a resistor?

Last edited:
Please correct all the mistakes on your schematic. Show the Mosfet as a Mosfet symbol, not as a box.

How much current does the solenoid coil draw? I've used 12VDC pull solenoids that draw up to 800mA. I thought I had a problem with my circuit, but it was just an underpowered wall wart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back