Name of this board...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I wanted to know the name of this board...

I am sure this is not a bread board and also not a zero pcb...

I can buy it from market...

Regards,

Simran..

simrantogether said:
Hi,

I wanted to know the name of this board...

I am sure this is not a bread board and also not a zero pcb...

I can buy it from market...

Regards,

Simran..

OK. Simran I give up!
So please tell us the name..

You added the link!!!

Note the label it says 'Audioguru' he should know.

I'm guessing it's a miniature FM transmitter that Audio Guru has designed or part designed. The board picture looks like a prototype or hobbyists construction of the design, completed on prototyping board (strip board).

Brian

It's (originally) called Veroboard - and is what my tutorials are all built on.

Audioguru used a non-Vero 'copy' for his transmitter.

I couldn't find the real Veroboard anymore so I bought a really good epoxy-fiberglass Chinese copy locally for about 10 years. Then it also became unavailable.

I found this phenolic stripboard in a new local electronic parts shop. I don't know where it comes from. It stinks.

audioguru said:
I found this phenolic stripboard in a new local electronic parts shop. I don't know where it comes from. It stinks.

Stripboard does stink, doesn't it. I keep a good stock of it in one of my drawers and as soon as you open it the smell wafts out!

Brian

Well...

Hi,

It can be very much useful in designing applications easily...

Good for hobbyists...

Good to know that even Nigel Sir's projects are made on this board...

Regards,

Simran..

it is much of impresson that some of you guys don't know stripboards they are damn cheap and easy to build circuits, i use them very often.. but if you dare try to build something with RF or and audio amp on these...

Attachments

• 12012008215.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 188
whiz115 said:
it is much of impresson that some of you guys don't know stripboards they are damn cheap and easy to build circuits, i use them very often.. but if you dare try to build something with RF or and audio amp on these...

They are perfectly fine for audio, and low RF, no different to a normal PCB. Even for VHF they are OK if you design the layout properly (just as with a PCB), check Audioguru's VHF transmitter on stripboard.

whiz115 said:
it is much of impresson that some of you guys don't know stripboards
You don't know what is stripboard. You showed a pic of perforated board with a copper square around each hole. Then you need to solder many wires to join the holes together.

Stripboard has printed copper strips that already have the holes in each strip joined together. Parts and a few jumper wires are inserted in the holes to make the other half of the wiring. The copper strips are cut with a drill-bit or hand-tool then the strip can be used for more than one function.

Attachments

• stripboard pic.PNG
    4.2 KB · Views: 168
audioguru said:
You don't know what is stripboard. You showed a pic of perforated board

peace audioguru!

i didn't knew that i used wrong english word for the board i'm using.
If my photo had only the non copper side of the board would you have said this? anyway thanks for the correction...

Last edited:
yea strip boards the name but up to what frequency can you use it ? suppose if you don't leave loads of excess strip connected and ground the unused portions it would be no different to regular PCB

I made very complicated high speed digital circuits on 60cm pieces of stipboard with 74LSxx ICs. They worked perfectly.

PCBs are generally better for HF than strip board as you have more control of the layout and routing. Iif you must use strip board for an HF design, then it's best to remove all unused tracks.

Thunderchild said:
yea strip boards the name but up to what frequency can you use it ? suppose if you don't leave loads of excess strip connected and ground the unused portions it would be no different to regular PCB

That's normal practice - it's easy to remove, simply heavily tin the portion of copper you want to remove, then keep applying heat to one end of it, this 'abuse' loosens the adhesive, and you can lift the track with a sharp blade and peel it off.

If you check my PIC RF tutorial, you will see that all unused tracks are removed from the board near the RF modules, just as good practice.

what if they are just grounded will that work ? if memory serves many PCBs have the unused portion of board as one huge "earth plane" is this to save in manufacturing chemical (to remove that copper) or is it better practice to have a larged earthed area instead on nothing, they do strip board with holes close enough for pics ? the last stuff I used (that was old mind you) the holes were to far apart and I put the one IC off board

Last edited:
The problem is that a ground rail is a supply rail like any other and is subject to the same rules of Electronics and Physics. Just because it's called "ground" doesn't immediately make it immune to noise, it'll be subject to those kinds of problems in the same way as any supply rail would.

Therefore, you need to be just as careful with the routing of your ground rail as anything else. With that in mind, it's probably better to remove the unwanted tracks than to have ground points randomly distributed around the board.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…