Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need a help with PCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.man

can anyone come to my rescue.
i'm making a pcb with Altium Designer 6.9. i'm trying but i'm exhausted now.

this is what i've done( attached).
can anyone transform my schematic to a nice PCB.

Kind Regards,

Attachments

• ckt.PNG
    ckt.PNG
    35.5 KB · Views: 297
  • pcb.PNG
    pcb.PNG
    66.8 KB · Views: 362
another try, now single sided...any comment?

the upper side (which invloves oscillator, switch,etc..) gives me hard time now...i need someone's help

another thing, how do i make 12Vdc power jack( to replace Y1) using Altium designer?

Attachments

• try1.PNG
    try1.PNG
    46.3 KB · Views: 249
  • try.PNG
    try.PNG
    61.3 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Hi t.man,

a PCB design depends a lot of how connectors have to be used. If the connection sequence is fixed (e.g. connector for an LC-display) the connector pins must be connected in the same order the display requires. Other connections might vary according to the easiest (aimed for single layer) way of routing.

Your latest (single sided) example shows a big gap to fill to complete the PCB design single sided.

Getting too close to the screen you won't see it (at least not easily). Stand back a bit and take a sharp look. The gap is exactly where you wasted precious space. :D

Boncuk

another try, now single sided...any comment?

the upper side (which invloves oscillator, switch,etc..) gives me hard time now...i need someone's help

another thing, how do i make 12Vdc power jack( to replace Y1) using Altium designer?

Here is my comment. Why do you use a grid size not matching standard pitch distances or a fraction thereof? (1/10, 1/20, 1/40, 1/80. etc inch)

Take a look at your pads and traces off grid. They are crooked.

Boncuk

Hi t.man,

a PCB design depends a lot of how connectors have to be used. If the connection sequence is fixed (e.g. connector for an LC-display) the connector pins must be connected in the same order the display requires. Other connections might vary according to the easiest (aimed for single layer) way of routing.

Your latest (single sided) example shows a big gap to fill to complete the PCB design single sided.

Getting too close to the screen you won't see it (at least not easily). Stand back a bit and take a sharp look. The gap is exactly where you wasted precious space. :D

Boncuk

can you lend a hand and give it a go?

Of course I can and I will.

The software I am using is Eagle. I'll take your latest picture and do the changes using that program.

Boncuk

Of course I can and I will.

The software I am using is Eagle. I'll take your latest picture and do the changes using that program.

Boncuk

IC1 is atmega16
...and you can play around with the circuit as you wish, i.e add ISP Header, etc..

Hi t.man,

here are two ways to route the reset button to R1. There is still a third option moving R1 to jump across VCC and route the left pin back to S1 using the space between connectors Y2 and Y4. In that case S1 has be mounted oriented vertically.

I'd prefer solution one since the reset button is not obstructed by connectors.

I omitted the bottom part (everything 'south' of the MCU).

Be advised that schematic and PCB are not consistant, causing problems when trouble shooting.

Boncuk

Attachments

• thegap.gif
    thegap.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 200
  • thegap1.gif
    thegap1.gif
    21.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Hi t.man,
here are two ways to route the reset button to R1. There is still a third option moving R1 to jump across VCC and route the left pin back to S1 using the space between connectors Y2 and Y4. In that case S1 has be mounted oriented vertically.

Be advised that schematic and PCB are not consistant, causing problems when trouble shooting.
Boncuk
Nice work Boncuk! R1 could be place just below S1. and Ground could be taken to Y4(pin3) from middle of the IC eastwards and then vertically UP, instead from the Capacitors point to avoid interference.

Hi t.man,

Boncuk

thanks BoncuK,

may you send the files retha727@gmail.com

NB: can one export Eagle files to Altium Designer?

Nice work Boncuk! R1 could be place just below S1. and Ground could be taken to Y4(pin3) from middle of the IC eastwards and then vertically UP, instead from the Capacitors point to avoid interference.

thanks for the flowers msv sarma,

I guess the application isn't time critical (so many port pins used).

Anyway these suggestions are certainly not the final descision about the design.

Generally I pay extra attention to the crystal and its capacitors for an undisturbed ground connection, if necessary an overall ground plane on the component side.

Boncuk

Hi t.man,

first off I suggest to leave the power connector as it is. DC-power jacks are very bulky regarding pin sizes. No (affordable) PCB layout software is able to make a solderpad slotted 2.5mm long and 0.8mm wide. Placing the solder pads at a pitch distance of 1/5 inch (5.08mm) you might use screw head terminals.

I already made an improvement suggestion to CHERNG WEEI TECHNOLOGY CORP. at Taipei/Taiwan for a DC-power jack using pins for through holes fitting on a PCB easily using standard solderpads. (things are going slower in Asia than in the rest of the world)

The import of Eagle data into any other software will be difficult, most probably impossible.

You might download the latest Eagle light version (license free) and use the files as they are made using Eagle v. 3.55. The PCB size limitation of 100X80mm is only effective if you want to create a board. Opening any board size those restrictions don't apply (programmer's error, plausibility check in the wrong place :D or programmed back door :confused: )

Download from CadSoft Online: EAGLE Layout Editor (latest version 5.2.0)

Boncuk

Hi t.man,

first off I suggest to leave the power connector as it is. DC-power jacks are very bulky regarding pin sizes. No (affordable) PCB layout software is able to make a solderpad slotted 2.5mm long and 0.8mm wide. Placing the solder pads at a pitch distance of 1/5 inch (5.08mm) you might use screw head terminals.

I already made an improvement suggestion to CHERNG WEEI TECHNOLOGY CORP. at Taipei/Taiwan for a DC-power jack using pins for through holes fitting on a PCB easily using standard solderpads. (things are going slower in Asia than in the rest of the world)

The import of Eagle data into any other software will be difficult, most probably impossible.

You might download the latest Eagle light version (license free) and use the files as they are made using Eagle v. 3.55. The PCB size limitation of 100X80mm is only effective if you want to create a board. Opening any board size those restrictions don't apply (programmer's error, plausibility check in the wrong place :D or programmed back door :confused: )

Download from CadSoft Online: EAGLE Layout Editor (latest version 5.2.0)

Boncuk

hi, Boncuk,

i already have Eagle light 5.1.0 installed. i've just started the download of 5.2.0.

Hi t.man,

I've made a new board design using all parts contained in your schematic + an ISP connector.

The +5V connection at Y2 is not quite clear. Is it connected to pin15? Labels are normally placed left or on top of a pin. This one is underneath the pin meaning a dead short since it also is connected to ground. Also the ground connections to Y2 are not clearly recognizable. As I understood (also due to a missing junction) pins12 through 14 are connected to ground.

What frequency does the XTAL have and what kind of diode is used for D1? For the voltage regulator I assumed an 7805, also no value printed in the schematic.

Boncuk

PCB layout

Attachments

• FORUM.gif
    FORUM.gif
    30.9 KB · Views: 203
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back