Need an opinion between two Xenon flashtubes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy13

I am building a high power 12V portable Xenon strobe light, and I am trying to make it as bright as possible so I need a few opinions here before I continue designing my circuit.

I am torn whether I should go with a 40mm round flashtube (rated at 100ws, **broken link removed**) or a smaller spiral flashtube (rated at 40ws, **broken link removed**). I am aiming for around 15 Hz (15 flashes per second), so I would be firing the round flashtube at 6.5 joules per flash (for a total of 97.5 joules per second) and I would be firing the spiral flashtube at 2.6 joules per flash (for a total of 39 joules per second).

My question is this: How much brighter would the 40mm round flashtube truly be than the spiral flashtube?

To fire the 40mm round flashtube at 6.5 joules per flash, I will need 144 uF at 300 volts per flash. Will I be able to fill 144 uF of capacitors 15 times per second to successfully fire the round flashtube a full 6.5 joules per flash?

Thank you to everyone for your help and ideas!

hi,
Will this be used with a focussing reflector for a directional beam.

Be extremely careful with a Xenon flashing at around 16Hz it can induce epileptic seizures in some individuals and other animals.

Can you say what is the application.??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…