Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help Wiring LED's For My portal Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

UtopiaRules

Hi
I am creating a portal gun prop and was wondering how to do the wiring like Harrison Krix (From Volpin Props). It doesn't have to be exact but similar with the switch to turn it on the switch to change color and (Optional) The button to make it play sound.
I am a really big Noob at electronics and will probably not understand complicated schematics. I really only know that you can power a lamp by using a big battery pack some wires and crocodile clips.

Hope You can help

EDIT: here is a link to the post so you can find his photo towards the end
https://volpinprops.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/portal-gun-for-childs-play_22.html

Last edited:
People probably don't know how to help you or exactly what help you need?

Apart from knowing "Portal" is a SciFi computer game and you are trying to make a glowing gun type prop, what exactly is the thing you need help with?

If you go to the website near the bottom their is a picture of the wiring and the wiring in place. On the wiring in place photo you can see their is an on /off switch a blue/orange switch and a button that makes the different noises. There is also an example video as well on the website which is the wiring uncovered and showing you what is does.

For non Portal fans, what he needs is a way to alternate between a group of orange and blue LEDS. These LEDS stay lit during the operation of the toy and don't require any special effects.

I made a small illustration for the light system, you can build it using some LED flashlight guts and the indicated switches.

However, for the sound system you will need more electronics knowledge (i.e. how to use a 555 IC) and soldering skills. Or find another toy that sounds in the same way, you can take the circuit from it.

Attachments

• portal_lightts.png
    portal_lightts.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 886
That's called polarity, the (+) or red means positive and (-) or black is negative. Some devices (like LED) will not turn on if the polarity is reversed.

I know that drawing a box instead of the actual LEDs may be confusing for you, but I cannot provide you a more detailed drawing because I have no idea of what type of LEDs and batteries do you have available.

I suggest you to forget the project for a moment and start playing with flashlight guts, wires and AA or 9V batteries. Reading some theory will help too. As long as you keep away from mains electricity or car batteries you will be perfectly safe.

"Throwing science to the wall, to see what sticks"

Oh i see what you mean. I have actually done some research on the subject and i think i know what to do. Dont you put the positive wire into one side of the LED and the negative into the other so each light would be switched. I can sort of get an idea from this website of what i need to do and from your diagram. Also in your diagram does the wire from the two switch to the three switch have to be in the middle or can i put it to the right.

https://www.horrorseek.com/home/hal..._PoweringLEDs.html#WiringMultipleLEDsInSeries

Ok i was just thinking why do you need a three way switch in the middle of your diagram. I kinda wanted it to have 1 on/off switch and 1 blue/orange switch so the middle pole would not be needed so i would need a 2 way switch. Am i correct or not.

The top switch would "turn the unit on". that would make say the main orange leds light up. Now the "portal device" is now "armed. When you are ready to jump the
portal into another dimension, you activate the "activation switch", turning on the blue leds.....and then the portal will appear..
have fun.

Wow sorry didn't understand what you said but I have looked up the switch and I shows that I only need to switch it once not three times

Ok i was just thinking why do you need a three way switch in the middle of your diagram. I kinda wanted it to have 1 on/off switch and 1 blue/orange switch so the middle pole would not be needed so i would need a 2 way switch. Am i correct or not.

Yes I already see what you want, it can be done using something called flip flop circuit. Unfortunately, until you learn the electronic basics and soldering skills, you will not be able to build it. That's why I proposed, in the meantime, the simpler switch approach.

Anyway, remember that the hand of the operator is hidden inside the gun at all times, so it will not make very much difference in the experience

Is the 3 pole switch a up or down or is it three options because if it is like this picture
Switch.jpeg
Then i can see What the circuit does if not then im not sure.

yes, that may be correct. some of those switches are either up or down, some have a spot in the middle where neither up or down is connected (neutral). you'd have to read the data sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back