Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need ideas for Capacitor/solenoid Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobledoux

I have a 100uf capacitor charged to 90 volts. I want to discharge it into a solenoid.

Controlling the discharge is a Microchip TC4427 FET driver.

What FET circuit would you recommend?

You will need an N channel FET because the FET driver you are using is only rated to 18V (so your drive voltage to the FET cannot be more than 18V). Keep the ON resistance low (less than 50m Ohms should be good), the breakdown voltage of the FET needs to be higher than, say, 120V. Keep the Qg spec low to ensure a fast turn. Connect the solenoid between the drain of the FET and the 90V and connect a fast acting diode across the solenoid to prevent back emf. Keep the power supply to the FET driver short and decouple the FET driver with a low ESR cap close to its supply pins. Keep the FET close to the driver. For the FETs, look at Vishay and Fairchild (or Farnell)

The circuit is powered by a 9 volt battery. I've selected a IRL620S for the switch. It has full turn on with 5 volts at the gate and its rated for 200 volts.

Thanks for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back