Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Faculty Member Wanted - Qualifications Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog

We are looking for a new faculty member (Michigan, USA):
Electrical Electronics Engineering Technology and Computer Networks and Systems Faculty (9-Month, Tenure Track)

Requirements:
Instruct students in BS Computer Networks and Systems, BS Electrical/Electronics Engineering Technology, AAS Industrial Electronics Technology and related programs. The primary responsibility is teaching. Courses may include network design implementation and security, digital electronics, microprocessors, embedded systems, software, operating systems, communications and electrical/electronics principles and circuits. Responsibilities also include developing lecture and laboratory course curricula. Faculty members also have professional responsibilities which may include advising students, orientation and registration of students, participation in University committees, keeping regular posted office hours (which are scheduled at times convenient for students), and participation in traditional functions which have academic significance. Faculty members may be required to teach off-campus or on-line.

Qualifications:
Master's degree in a closely related technical field and a minimum of three years related technical work experience. The selected candidate must have expertise in modern wired and wireless networking theory, application, implementation and security; in-depth knowledge of current computer operating systems, digital embedded devices, networks, and systems; object oriented programming; fundamental digital electronics and AC/DC circuits. The individual must also demonstrate excellent communication and teaching skills, and strong interest in working with students.

Expertise and experience in real-time operating systems; embedded and industrial networking, digital signal processing, and communications technologies. Current Network and Computer related certifications. Prior teaching experience in higher education. Expertise developing online and online assisted courses. Active in professional organizations.

more here: **broken link removed**

An academic position that does not require a PhD?!
That's one for the scrapbook. I might be interested, since I already live in Michigan and I know where Big Rapids is.

Well its a technology school. PHD's arent always necessary. At Purdue we have a number of faculty members(adjunct or visiting lecturer) that arent reserachers but have a generous amount of industry experience.

Usually they are assigned freshman-junior level courses.

But for thr 400-700 level courses, yeah they are all PHD's.

Reactions: vdd
Papabravo said:
An academic position that does not require a PhD?!
That's one for the scrapbook. I might be interested, since I already live in Michigan and I know where Big Rapids is.

Yes, our best faculty are ones with industry experience. Just because one has a PhD, doesn't make that person automatically capable of teaching, especially when it comes to making something actually work vs. theory.

So I sent an evelope to Big Rapids via FedEx which they say will absolutely, positively, maybe get there Monday in time to meet the deadline. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Papabravo said:
So I sent an evelope to Big Rapids via FedEx which they say will absolutely, positively, maybe get there Monday in time to meet the deadline. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Don't worry. That wasn't a deadline, that's just when we'll start reviewing applicants. We'll continue reviewing them until someone suitable is chosen. If you want to PM me, I can keep a lookout for yours.

Analog said:
I can keep a lookout for yours.

That's a little like the recommendation that ends, "You will be lucky to get <name> to work for you." :D

John

Salgat said:
I have a feeling PapaBravo will make a lot of kids very depressed.

nothing wrong with that

Make it tuff i would say (caracter building) if they finish it they have to perform in the big bad world

Robert-Jan

Last edited:
Salgat said:
I have a feeling PapaBravo will make a lot of kids very depressed.

They are all on Ritalin:D

On a more serious note, I taught a section at a local college this past Fall. There was quite a contrast between me (suit, shirt, tie) and the other instructor who had a ring in her tongue.

We all got along fine and it was great fun. I think PB will enjoy it and the students will too. Just remember the rule of thirds: one third won't care, one third will be average, and one third will make it all worth the effort.

John

Analog said:
"Just because one has a PhD, doesn't make that person automatically capable of teaching..."
PhD = Post Hole Digger

You forgot the MS which is just More of the Same.

We're currently trawling through University prospectuses, looking for where our daughter will be going in 2009 - she visited Cambridge the other week - didn't like there at all, so that's out! :D

This thread is getting way off subject, but are you considering any schools in the USA, perhaps on the east coast?

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back