Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New OS system help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Win98 is still a useful O/S for machines under 128Mb, plenty of sites about have the ISO files for the 'boot diskette'. The original Win98 bootable CD's are also common enough now that it is no longer supported and because it has largely been replaced by WinXp you can often get a valid serial key to go with it for free as a bonus without having to resort to the well documented 'crack'.

What I will say against using Win98 these days is that sometimes device drivers can be hard to find, graphics and chipset along with USB in particular being required to make the most of the system. It was the one big gripe with Win98 that you had to install the USB support yourself as an optional extra.

Alternatives.. aside from XPlite are Linux variants DSL (Dam Small Linux) and Puppy Linux both of these will run more than happily down in 32Mb of ram. Puppy in particular looks and feels a lot like windows and even a modest machine can run the likes of Firefox, OpenOffice and Gimp (graphics software as good as Photoshop but free). Have had good results with it on older machines.

It should be noted that WinXp will run in as little as 32Mb thanks to 'virtual ram' where data is shuffled on and off the hard drive when the normal ram is full but it does make for a slower end result. Jules did run her aging Compaq laptop with it for a while but then 'downgraded' to XPlite, stripping out all the unused junk trims it down to a much leaner O/S weighing in at under 300Mb on the HDD.

Just boot from a floppy, and install windows from the CD - you don't need to be able to boot from a CD. Win98 even creates a suitable boot floppy for you, including format, fdisk etc.

Floppy, do you still get those?:D
Maybe try a boot stiffy, damn, I have one for you m-usb...... bad luck.
XP should run, I've run XP home on AMD K6-400 & 500, but had some more RAm in there.

Masterful-usb:
Also, if you tell me you have 96MB, you could have on-board graphics.
That will tie your machine down in almost any operation. Try lay your hands on a real graphics card, you should still have some second hand AGP cards floating around, just check your mobo first.
It'll help you out major. Damn, I have a few 64MB AGP cards lying around..... bad luck again.
Good luck further

What did you use to partion and format the hard disk? I ask because you may have formatted it with ntfs which won't work for win 98. I can help you install it but I have always used a floppy to boot it up. What do you have as far as floppies and a cd? There may be a way to make a bootable cd and load it but i have never done it.

I have a scanner that has seen only about 100-200 pages since it was first fired up. HP in it's great wisdom choose not to support it with XP. I keep an old 98 box around so I can fire it up when I need to scan a document or send a fax.

Yeah I am too cheap to toss a nearly new scanner just because it is old. :) I even purchased a software upgrade with decent character recognition. Used that about twice.

EDIT: There are some 3rd party programs that will make use of the scanner under XP but they cost more money and I would not be able to use the OCR.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back