Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

newbie 555 timer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

planedoctor

Thanks for the assistance in advance.

I have a project I would like to make.
3v powering some TLC555's

Power on triggers [a]5 sec delay(low), then 5 second run of small motor(high), then [c] high to third circuit till opened.

Independently I have been able to make each circuit work but combining them is my issue.

R1= 1MΩ
C1= 4.7uF
T=5 sec

I have TIP120 and TIP42 available for motor and [c] output.
I guess I might be having isolation issues.
I don't have and design software to include a drawing.
Attached is the basic Monostable design I used.

View attachment 67112

A TLC555 has a low output current when its supply is only 3V. Its minimum output high current is less than only 0.5mA and is less when a 3V battery voltage runs down. Its minimum output low current is about 5mA when its supply is 3V.

A TIP120 darlington transistor has an output voltage loss of about 1.5V at low currents so it wastes half of the supply to the motor.

A TIP42 or any other little power transistor needs an input of 1/10th its output current to be a saturated switch. But since it is PNP then the TLC555 drives it from an output low which can be a minimum current of about 5mA so the transistor can have an output current of 50mA.

"Typical" output current graphs of a Cmos 555 are shown in Intersil's datasheet for their ICM7555.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

How would this be best achieved?

What I have is a "useless box" I want to modify with a timing circuit.

When the switch[a] is closed I want a 5 second delay then turn on a motor[a] (1.5-3v, .70mA max draw) for 5 seconds then supply power to arm motor which mechanically turns off switch[a] and opens circuit.

What I was trying to do was have one 555 trigger the other. By itself the circuit worked and timed 5 sec but using output from 1 to trigger on other did not.

View attachment 67149

Last edited:
The second 555 needs a power-on reset. Try connecting its reset pin to +12V via ~10k and to ground via ~0.1uF. BTW the component values shown give a 0.5 sec delay, not a 5 sec delay.

My bad. For +12V read +3V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back