Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

newbie/novice needs answers for home / car audio question pleeeeeeeease!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fubar

Hey folks. I am in the midst of building a jobsite radio. I want to use a car stereo / cd player. I do realize that the car sterio runs of 12 volts, but i do not want to incorporate an over weight battery charger into this project. My question is this. What can i use to power the unit. I need to convert 120 volts ( north american ) down to 12 volts.........? can this be done cheaply, and without adding too much weight....those damn battery chargers weight a ton. Much thanks, in advance for any and / or all comments.thanks Fubar

fubar said:
Hey folks. I am in the midst of building a jobsite radio. I want to use a car stereo / cd player. I do realize that the car sterio runs of 12 volts, but i do not want to incorporate an over weight battery charger into this project. My question is this. What can i use to power the unit. I need to convert 120 volts ( north american ) down to 12 volts.........? can this be done cheaply, and without adding too much weight....those damn battery chargers weight a ton. Much thanks, in advance for any and / or all comments.thanks Fubar
Just use a adapter, PC power suply or whatever. Batery chargers? For what if u have acces to the 120V line?

cool..much thanks.......my worries are that an adaptor wont be enough to power the signal when turned up in volume...like i said.iam a novice....thanks and regards...keep the answers coming...

fubar said:
cool..much thanks.......my worries are that an adaptor wont be enough to power the signal when turned up in volume...like i said.iam a novice....thanks and regards...keep the answers coming...
Use a adaptor with generous rating (like 3A+). If it isn't runing too hot ...ok. U didn't gave a lot of details about the car stereo. Does it have a audio amplifier included:confused: ? U're using a external one? What power?

i have not obtained the player yet, before i invest i need answers..but thanks..i , with knowledge and the help of a good friend i can hopfully figure it out...moocho thanks......keep the answers coming.believe me.i check my ego at the door.iam here to learn......fubar

i have not obtained the player yet, before i invest i need answers
Why not just buy a portable player that works on 120Vac already? What advantage are you trying to gain from using a car sterio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back