Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9jcv

Yes, I did read the post for newbies and I have been reading on the web for 2 days. I would like to buy and program pic 16f628a and I found a very simple circuit that looks like I can program it.

**broken link removed**

Does anyone else do/use this LVP?

I understand not all chips can program with lvp. I know that I will not be able to use one I/O pin because I will be doing LVP.

If I understand correctly I can use this program to actually burn the chip
http://www.ic-prog.com/

I could write the code using MPLAB/ASM.

Is all of the above correct. If so, I can purchase the few resistors socket and cable and the pic for under $10.

Please provide me any input you can.
Thanks
bruce

You are correct, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Build yourself a half way decent parallel port programmer, not only will your range of useful devices open up, but the programmer will be reliable.
It will save you greif and money in the long run.

These simple low voltage programmers have all sorts of issues, everything from common problems with PC serial port compatibility, to not being able to hold the device properly in a reset condition prior to programming etc.

Anybody else have input. I realize my device choices are limited. I will probably only ever use the 16f628a. I used a 16f84 long ago with a very similar programmer. It worked fine every time (of the whole ten or twenty times I used it). This is not for work just for hobby. Even if I blow a pic or two at $1.81 no big deal.

What is the reliability likely to be with say 100 programming efforts? Would it work for 95 out of those 100?

There are always those that say you need better, and I agree if you are going to use it to an extreme. For example, I have a $500 unicycle, but I rode it 1500 miles this year. A beginner only needs a $60 unicycle and they can get 100 miles of enjoyment out of it before it needs replacement. So what do you all say to the $10 LVP programmer?

Thanks
b

I say try it and see. If it works (and I've no reason to think it wont) then you should be able to program all of the new 16 series chips as these all have LVP.

Mike.

n9jcv said:
Anybody else have input. I realize my device choices are limited. I will probably only ever use the 16f628a. I used a 16f84 long ago with a very similar programmer. It worked fine every time (of the whole ten or twenty times I used it). This is not for work just for hobby. Even if I blow a pic or two at $1.81 no big deal.

What is the reliability likely to be with say 100 programming efforts? Would it work for 95 out of those 100?

There are always those that say you need better, and I agree if you are going to use it to an extreme. For example, I have a $500 unicycle, but I rode it 1500 miles this year. A beginner only needs a $60 unicycle and they can get 100 miles of enjoyment out of it before it needs replacement. So what do you all say to the $10 LVP programmer?

Thanks
b
I use the same programmer to programme both the 16F628 and the 16F84.

I built a variant of it (40 pin socket) to programme the 16f877.

I don’t want to get burned for this but...
I have had great success with the Atom

www.basicmicro.com

**broken link removed**
the book by Chuck Hellebuyck is awesome!!!

**broken link removed**
this book is my Bible for information. It has almost everything you need!! Its very simple straight forward and has lots of code, examples and tips.

The atom is a very powerful microcontroller. IT can do a huge amount of things with ease. It is programmed with MBASIC. I like the fact that what you write for it will easily program a regular Pic. I have to be honest though, the development kit is a bit pricy (but worth it) and the tech support isn’t even in the ball park of being good. I found that the basic stamp2 is the best for tech support; I have never ever seen anything better!!! I don’t care as much for it though because it’s a different programming language and is an inferior product in terms of actual processor specs. But you should really take a look at the Stamps in a class books. The homework board is a great primer.

**broken link removed**
https://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28152

worst case I think that you should download the free PDFs and read through them.

**broken link removed**

Here is a site that A friend put up and has some usefull info i hope

**broken link removed**

The schematic above will only work with legacy com ports. If your is a low voltage type then this should work.

Mike.

Last edited:
Thanks Pommie
I believe I have legacy serial/com port so I should be OK.
Thanks for the diagram for the non-legacy as well.
b:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back