Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie: Super simple project for PIC ICD w/PICKit 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pavius do you live in the us

Thank you for your generous offer, but i live in Israel. I got the 28 pin board (25$) and it works well (just plugged it in yesterday and ran a simple program i wrote).

There were 2 issues in the installation:
1) When you pop in the PICKit2 dev CD it will pop up a web-based setup thingie. Since i use firefox it did not work well (had to install manually).
2) For some bizarre reason, after installing MPLAB i couldn't see the HI-TECH compiler toolsuite even though i was prompted to install it when i installed MPLAB. I downloaded the latest version from HI-TECH, installed and then it registered correctly with MPLAB.

If Osc in pin decoupled to ground by 0.1uF how does the oscillator to work? Or, is it that either crystal or external RC oscillator ? Even the 44pin demo board has the same schematic around RA7.

It is external RC.

I don't have an 18 pin board to refer to, but I do have a 44 pin one.

The 44 pin demo board has a TQFP 16F887 PIC on board. As standard, the OSC pins, RA6/OSC2/CLKOUT (pin31) & RA7/OSC1/CLKIN (pin30), section of the board remain unpopulated. You can use INTOSC without adding anything, or add components (R/C, crystal & caps, or resonator) to use RC LP XT HS etc.

See attached image.

Again, without having a board to hand, I could speculate that the 18 pin board's clock section is probably unpopulated as standard, since the bundled 16F648A has INTOSC...hope someone who has one could chip in & confirm.

Regards.

Attachments

• 44pinDemo.jpg
    44pinDemo.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 189
It is external RC.

I don't have an 18 pin board to refer to, but I do have a 44 pin one.

The 44 pin demo board has a TQFP 16F887 PIC on board. As standard, the OSC pins, RA6/OSC2/CLKOUT (pin31) & RA7/OSC1/CLKIN (pin30), section of the board remain unpopulated. You can use INTOSC without adding anything, or add components (R/C, crystal & caps, or resonator) to use RC LP XT HS etc.

See attached image.

Again, without having a board to hand, I could speculate that the 18 pin board's clock section is probably unpopulated as standard, since the bundled 16F648A has INTOSC...hope someone who has one could chip in & confirm.

Regards.

Many thanks for the clarification. In the schematic, they should have shown dotted line to avoid confusion. i too had the 44 pin board, but didn't watch it keenly.

Many thanks for the clarification. In the schematic, they should have shown dotted line to avoid confusion. i too had the 44 pin board, but didn't watch it keenly.

In previous MCHP schematics, there are headings within the notes section, which dictate "Items labelled with XXX are unpopulated." or something similar.

Guess this schematic hasn't been revised yet.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back