Newly graduated Electronics technician questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone I am new to the site. Its very interesting. I am currently in an Electronics technician course and I love it. As much as its challenging, its still fun. Anyway I am about 5 months or so from graduating. How hard is it to break in to the industry and get someone to take a chance on you so you can get real world hands on experience? I'm eager to get out there and learn on the job from other great Techs, so I wanted to know how hard it will be to get that chance? Thanks for any help at all.

Not so different than looking for any job, really.

Experience comes at a price. When I was in your boots, I looked for newly minted businesses, figuring they'd be more willing to takes chances.

Then I was willing to work for practically nothing.

Redundant, but getting experience ain't cheap.

Good luck. It can be a very rewarding profession.

Thanks cowboybob, appreciate the help. I just hope I can find something that will p[ay at least 15 bucks and hour so I can get hands on experience with other great ET's. I joined the ETA, I'm gonna try and get the CETa certification as quickly as possible. Will that help and is 15 an hour wishful thinking or you think right on? I live in NJ by the way. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

is 15 an hour wishful thinking or you think right on

I got my one year of formal ET (RADAR) training in the USN (with a Precision Measurement Equipment [Submarine] Specialty). When I got out (1974) with 6 years of experience, I found that the civilian world didn't care as much about PME. They paid 40% less for the same work. That was then. And I took what I could find.

To answer your questions: certifications are always useful. Proof of competence is a plus. And I think 15$/hr is very reasonable (given your circumstances) but I don't know the situation in NJ. However, always seek a tad more than what you'll settle for. But then settle for less to get the experience.

Cryptic, eh??

Last edited:
Will that help and is 15 an hour wishful thinking or you think right on? I live in NJ by the way. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

$15 an hour should be possible, location has a lot to do with it. Some areas have lots of electronic jobs, some very few. I dont know about NJ.

Yeah see here is the weird thing. I talked to a Certified Master technician from my area and he gave me some info and advice. He said fresh out of school I should be looking at anywhere between 18 and 22 an hour, which surprised me. That is why I asked this question. The thing is I check lots of employment websites and most say 2 years + experience, how does someone without 2 years plus experience get 2 years experience? Thanks for all the help, I appreciate.

Close to graduation, and confident that you will graduate, apply for those 2+ year jobs anyway. They may not find what they want/need and/or also may need a junior tech. The worst they can do is say no
When I had a small design/mfg co I often took on students from the local tech institute to gain practical experienc. Maybe your teacher can advise you. E

Personally, I start with the end in mind.

When guys I know graduated and started working (or not) and I was like in third year.. I blasted them with questions. Questions like: "Okay, now it's 8 AM and you're at work ... What do you do ? .. What software is on your computer, what programs do you open, what stuff are you working on ? .. Which operating systems are you on"

That, my friend is priceless.

I've learned that what we study and what there's out there is totally different. Of course, studying the things we do is nice and helps design and understand stuff. I'm decent at that.

The answers to those questions I asked my buddies formed my checklist.

My brother worked for an American company in the desert, he said : "If I can only recommend one thing, it would be to learn English. You can't speak English, you can't work". I was actually able to communicate a bit in English (I got into it looking for books on Neuro-Linguistic Programming, cybernetics and then technical litterature on anything because I simply found that ... You can't find anything decent in French).

This got confirmed by my buddies who, the minute they see me, they say "Dude, you can't imagine how lucky you are.." and by every engineer out there who graduates and searches work. (Siemens, Schlumberger, GE, etc...)

Second thing: I got answers as to my field, and learn the mumbo-jumbo jargon. This is what you will look up on Google. And each thing brings another, you'll be totally immersed in that field of yours.

Example: What are the guys in my field doing ? SCADA, HMI, PLCs, DCS, Fieldbus, Modbus, CAN, Ethernet, VFDs.. Etc.

Third thing: Learn who are the major players in your field. Target some corporations you'd like to work with and go to their website, lurk a bit there. What are they looking for? The profile, the competence, requirements, whatever.

Is it a multibillion dollars company ? How's the work environment ? How's the business ? Did they get new contracts ? Are they big ? (Industrial stuff with very expensive equipment and the maintenance contract, etc ...) For example, Siemens with GAS turbines and the Metro here. GE got some turbines to in the East. How much do people get paid ? Do they have a training program for employees to stay up-to date ?

Why would an employee hire you and not someone in the same promotion as you ? Do you know something more ?

What makes you stand out compared to the average dude or those who are in your class ? If it's hard to answer that question, you know you got work to do. It must be so easy, so evident.

Become excellent, at least very good.

Become someone easy to hire..

Start with the end in mind.

All my best ..

Last edited:
Thanks guys, thank you for the help. I think you are right, Canadaelk, apply to those 2+ years experience jobs. I still have 5 months or so till I graduate anyway so there's nothing I can do right now. I just wanted to see what you guys had to say. Please feel free to add more if you have anything else.

In silicon valley, the new grads are prime targets for hiring: they like them because they will work dirt cheap. The ones with 3 - 5 years experience start to get more expensive. Bottom line, you need a portfolio of things you have done or built that show your skills. Don't just show up with a smile and tell them you are "eager to learn". They want people who can hit the ground running.

First you must decide what area you want to work. Auto, appliance repair, two way radio, marine, medical, aircraft, railroad etc. They are all different. All have advantages and disadvantages. From there go to your yellow pages/internet and find some prospects. Don't bother to mail a resume, knock on doors. Many prospective employers will be small operations, they typically will not advertise. With today's economy they can't afford to spend time wading through ten thousand resumes.
Check with friends of parents, relatives, minister. These people know who is hiring, and can give you an inside track. If your parents have a friend who is in Rotary, LIONS, Moose etc, these are also good places to prospect. Finally, join the Reserves, CG or Navy (can't tell you about the other branches) have excellent programs, and will give you additional training, knowledge and people.

Best

Thanks JMW, I'm glad you mentioned one thing, the railroad. I really, really want to be a signal maintainer for my local commuter railroad but how hard are those jobs to get? That is my ultimate goal, signal maintainer, electronics tech or locomotive technician at my local commuter railroad. I'm just afraid I won't get the chance which is why I'm asking about other ET employers just in case. What do you guys think about this way of going for employment? Thanks again for the help.

That is a great job. I missed an opportunity in the 80's for the LIRR; PATH, MTA, Amtrak are all golden.
There will be a test, it is a Government Job (Port Authority). You may be able to find it online. You get "points" for various things. Veterans etc, I don't know if EOC still applies or not. As you have none of these look around for a course that will assist in taking the test. Your school should be able to assist you in this. That is where the Reserves come in, many of these people are in the Reserve program, both on the tech and management side. They can't "get" you a job, but they can steer you in the right direction. If you can't get a job, in say 2 mos, go for the Reserves, it will be a 6 month commitment after boot camp and then you will go to a local unit. There is a CG unit in Sandy Hook. There used to be a Navy Communications unit in Elizabeth. If you go Navy or CG you have a choice of Electronics or Electrician. Either one will be OK.
The RR is the goal, you will have to take the test several times, you will have stiff competition. If you choose electrical as a field, the Local Union may assist you. For example, elevators are all electronic, many electricians haven't the expertise to handle it.

Thanks again JMW, the RR I REALLY, REALLY want to work for is NJ Transit because I live in NJ. Its a really big dream of mine, plus of coarse its a great job. Maybe I will try and contact the union that represents them and see if they have any information to give? I believe they are represented by the BRS. Thanks again.

Hey guys I notice a lot of RF technician jobs in my area. Does a job like this require anymore training than the "Electronics technician" course I'm taking now? Meaning is it specialized and you need post training besides the Electronics technician training? Thanks for any help.

Starting out probably not, but eventually you will need an FCC license. As RF is mostly analog, many techs don't have a strong backqround. Don't let it bother you, as there is plenty of digital in the consoles and control circuitry. It is a good area, that was my forte. Started out with tubes. Many of the jobs require 24/7 service as much of it deals with public safety.
Best, oh sign find a local amateur group and get signed up. It is a start into the wonderful world of RF

Experience in RF can be a door opener to a job with the railroad.

Last edited:
Well thanks a lot guys, I am encouraged. I think this could be a good path for me and I think a fun side of the business too. I might like this part of the industry to work on. I think after I graduate I'm gonna apply to everything that is RF. They seems to make good money too as far as I can tell. Of course the RR is my first choice in some capacity that deals with electronics. I was told the signals departments at railroads deal with junction boxes a lot. That sound right to you? Thanks

If you want to go into RF you should know RF. Have you had any training in RF circuits? Do you understand the basics? If not I suggest you learn all you can (as mentioned by others, Amateur Radio is a good place to learn).

A "junction box" is a fairly generic term and they may contain various types of electronics or electrical signals but likely not much RF stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…