Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Next

Status
Not open for further replies.

hjl4

My next project is to communicate with an off road vehicle that is using a CANBUS system, and I want to visually show a dozen sensor results, in Windows XP, in a text file , so I can print them out.
I have the CANBUS to RS232 board done, and everything working.
From there, I have trouble with making sense of the data coming out from the RS232 chip, to process it (the data), and then to display it in Windows.

I know it would likely take Visual Basic, and some electronics to process???

Is this doable??

Search for OBD II and you will find free software that works with an interface for about $60.00 and open C source program that you can modify. There are at least 3 different types, Ford, GM, etc. but I think they have CAN now. (PIC based interface)

Thanks Clyde, I guess this is out of my league. Anybody interested in creating a GUI for me similar to AutoTap

http://www.autotap.com/product_family.asp?FamilyId=260

but for CAN BUS J1939?

One that takes the data from the RS-232 chip and displays the info on screen(Windows XP). Text file would also be nice so I can print out data.
I have no experience with VB or C++.

If interested, we can talk $$$$? Of course, small guy here, and my pockets are not too deep. Looking for some one who wants to make extra
cash.
No this is not for resale to general public , but will be used on offroad vehicle.

Any takers???

Oooooops, no not like Autotap, no need for fancy graphs and gauges. Just tags, about twenty of them, that I can edit (to name the sensor), and display numbers or characters coming out of RS-232 in ASCII. Must be able to generate a text file.

Last edited:
This is the one I was talking about https://www.scantool.net/index.php and they have links to good info.
This one does CAN https://www.obddiagnostics.com/index.html and
https://www.obddiagnostics.com/obdinfo/info.html
If you find links to PIC source code with and without CAN please post them.

Some of that free software will let you display info the way you want it.
One of them uses a free C compiler. Look at the code. If it makes sense to you, you may want to learn programming. Don’t start with C++. You have to know a lot before you can do anything.

Thanks Clyde, but again, I find that you cannot overwrite the name of the sensor you want to monitor on the GUI. Also, I would be reading angle sensors, accelerometers and a compass, on top of the engine diagnostics. Finding source code won't help me either, as I looked at the Microchip one for CAN, and C is all Chinese to me. Maybe I'm asking for too much.

I hope to have some idea by the end of day, as I'm way late on submitting a viable proposal. Like I said, the electronics are done from CAN to RS-232. Ii need the interface from RS-232 to Windows XP.(the programming of GUI)
Thanks anyways.

hjl4 said:
My next project is to communicate with an off road vehicle that is using a CANBUS system, and I want to visually show a dozen sensor results, in Windows XP, in a text file , so I can print them out.
I have the CANBUS to RS232 board done, and everything working.
From there, I have trouble with making sense of the data coming out from the RS232 chip, to process it (the data), and then to display it in Windows.

I know it would likely take Visual Basic, and some electronics to process???

Is this doable??
Sure, it is doable.
Check my site for SAE-J1939 message center, SAE-J1939 data center and SAE-J1939 simulator.

Plus edition of J1939 simulator:
**broken link removed**

CAN network topology:
**broken link removed**

Remote terminal for J1939 simulator plus editions
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back