Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

No title just Erwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

navajo1

Hi can someone help me please,

I have a Sharp VCR Model VC 486 that was working perfectly until it stuck when the stop play was pushed. I have taken it apart and found that a lever in the top that rides in the large white cam gear underneath the unit had jumped out. I have relocated the lever and reassembled it. The tape loads and unloads perfectly but nothing else happens. No lacing up of tape or functionality from buttons. I suspect the mode switch, but I have checked this. I think the syncronization is out. How do I re sinc the gears?!#

Last edited:
You'd need a service manual for the VCR.

Manual required

Sceadwian said:
You'd need a service manual for the VCR.
Thank you for the advice. I figured that was the case but I was cheating and thought that someone out there may be a super guru on VCRs and could tell me how to time the beast so to speak. Any one got a manual going cheap?

You need to replace the cam gear, as it's damaged - that's why it jumped out. Then realign the mech - I've no idea if you could get a replacement for such an ancient VCR though? (I would have thought probably not?).

Thank you very much Nigel for you're reply, I know the cam wheel you refer to and have sourced a supplier but at the moment the original seems to be working ok I think the reason the arm jumped out was because the grease had gone dry and hard on the end of the follower. I just can't get the recorder to function after I load the tape. The part that is frustrating is that it's a very good stereo recorder everything else works perfectly, tuner etc. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy a service manual to sincronize the gears and mode switch.

Now I'm at work I just checked for a manual, presumably it wasn't a UK model as I don't have one?. I do have a technical manual though, which explains the circuit - and it's in English and German - but doesn't mention the mechanics at all.

However, it's a seriously old machine! - probably 20 years?.

Nigel again thanks for your'e reply. You are right it is seriously old,I purchased it in 1983, I have done the heads, Pinch roller and Idler tyre only once in all that time. It has been a family recorder, player and every thing else. It's one of those machines that has been too good to let go but back at the bench and I think it's something deeper than just the sicronizing of the mode switch. As I said before it loads the tape no worries but thats all. It wont thread the tape ar perform any functions, it recognises the tape in the machine with the tape indicator light on the door illuminating. Again thanks for all you're help but I think this one goes to the spare parts bin. Oh sorry this one lives in Australia, possibly similar to the one sold In UK, PAL/240vlt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back