Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noise making circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
I am looking for analogue circuits to make sounds, 555 timer's on there own, kind of sound buzzy to me. Anyone got any idea's of circuits, or chips other than 555 to make sounds with? It's for a toy space gun, for a kid that didnt get anything for Christmas, and likes star wars and space stuff. He is 8, I have a neat space gun that lights up but no sounds, I want to jazz it up for him. It is pretty big so room for circuit not a problem, I dont want the pic route, lets call it my analogue phase :D:D. Also i want him to be able to twiddle some dials or buttons to change the sounds :D,
the family is well known around here, and I go to school with his brother.
Dad just found out from our neighbor, what kind of Christmas this kid had, his name is Mike and he needs a smile.

That is a vary nice thing to do LG.
You can take some of the "buzzy" sound out of a 555 timer by using a cap to smooth out the square wave that the 555 makes.
Add a tilt switch to change the sound, a steel ball in a tube with contacts on one end.
The best thing would be an audio recorder chip, but that may take awhile to finish.

I could use a pic, but kind of want this analogue. I have been reading and the analogue stuff interests me. His brother is really nice, but the family have alot of problems. Makes me sad to see people suffer, I thought it would just give him a smile, I am lucky, I have parents that put me and my sisters first. Whatever stress mum and dad have, we never know about it, so most days i get to smile (except when you know who dose not listen!).
Working on a circuit now, I will post when i have it done :D, I will add a 556 and a small op amp, just to up the volume a little. Also put some high frequency options in, mainly for when his dad is drunk ;). Might stop him hitting the kids.

I sure will :D

Pin 2&6 on a 555 in astable mode gives a triangle wave, you could amp that with a op amp and pass transistor to a speaker.
Use another 555's triangle buffered through a pass transistor to pin 5 to modulate the freq, in fact you could have 2 or 3 at different freq's doing this to make mad noises, I did something like this as a kid.
I had some crimbo's where I didnt get much but I always had a good time so I'm not complaining.

Pin 2&6 on a 555 in astable mode gives a triangle wave, you could amp that with a op amp and pass transistor to a speaker.
Use another 555's triangle buffered through a pass transistor to pin 5 to modulate the freq, in fact you could have 2 or 3 at different freq's doing this to make mad noises, I did something like this as a kid.
I had some crimbo's where I didnt get much but I always had a good time so I'm not complaining.
I cant see it in my mind properly, I will post a schematic later, to see if i have what your saying correct.
I have 555 and some 556 timers :D, also a few 4017 decade counters, and some 8 bit binary counters. So I am thinking of mashing it together to get a huge range of mad noise :D.

Try 10k pots from each o/p of the 4017 to pin 5 of the sound making 555, you could put a diode in series too, I did something like this for a multitone roger bleep on my cb when I was your age.

Here's a few thoughts on the idea.

Wow ok guys the head is in the books! I will see what i can come up with :D first I have to do the washing up :meh:

I have had to start again! I found a way to simulate with sound in proteus, I had it all sounding great! then i hit two problems, problem 1. I was sure i had some decade counters and some binary counters, but turns out i have used them :(
2. the simulated sound is nothing like the real sound :(
So I am doing what i should have in the first place and bread boarding it first!
:meh::meh::meh::meh::meh::meh:
That will teach me to take short cuts i tell others not too:rolleyes:
I was sure I had counters tho:sorry::sorry:

Just do the best you can, I think this is a different situation where getting something working soon may be the most important factor.

I am on it! Will be complete within next couple of hours :facepalm:.
Then I am going to do a mark II. Actually my little sister likes it alot so i will do her a noise box :D.

I will do, but I need dad to get a you tube account first

It's the same account as the google account!!! Have you got one of these???
No google account as far as i know, well actually there probably is for the google pay thing, would you like to take a rough guess at the chances of dad giving me that password?:D. I will get him to do one i can use.

Ok done and dusted and delivered :D, I didnt get chance to video it, but I have the prototype board here, so i will video that, I am working on the markII and will swap it over when finished, I can then video the gun with both Mark I and mark II boards in :D. mark I has two timers and a few settings, Mark II is far more ambitious. Instead of decade counter I am going to use a led bar driver chip, coupled to a pot to change setting ranges (just because I have them on hand).
Mark II also needs some amplification so i need to sort that out. Will try and post pics soon

Lm380 or tba820 are reasonable low power audio amp chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back