Noisy USB outlet design? Request for testing help.

stevef22

Hello! I know this isnt exactly about repairing electronics. But I do hear a high pitched sound coming from my outlets.

I recently remodeled a home and upgraded to USB style 115v outlet receptacles.

However now I hear a faint high pitched hum in the house. My thoughts are that inferior parts are causing "noisy" outlets.

Also the faceplace color and outlet color was noticeably different, both are labeled as white and they both came in the same package. This is just a visual annoyance and not an issue.

So in the spirit of finding a quality USB outlet. I purchased about 9 samples from Amazon.

I removed the 4 screws from the back of the receptacle to expose the insides. However I have no idea what I'm looking at from there. Some are noticeably more complicated than others.

Anyone here interested in testing these? A simple Google sheet would be helpful in finding the true winner.

The goal is to test basic functionality of the unit. (Rated Voltage, Actual Voltage, EMF Emittance, General Quality Of Parts Used, Functionality with two USB devices plugged in, If device is emitting high pitched noises)

Please let me know if you are interested! I can mail these unit and we can test!

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2426.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 35
Winding, ferrites and piezoelectric caps can buzz with modulated vibrations. If it's annoying, disqualify it. If it's Tinnitus, get used to it. You can get a phone app to act as a sound level meter.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…