nte 2018 not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebb

hi all I am triing to build a firing circuit using a 4060 timer which outputs 12v to a 4017 counter this part works great with leds but when I take the outputs from the 4017 and put them to the inputs on the nte 2018 it will not fire. also I am wondering if the 4017 counter would handle igniting talon igniters. all input would be appretiated

Why didn't you look at the datasheet of the NTE2018?
It is a darlington power transistor that has a 2.7k series base resistor so it can be driven from a 5V source.
But your 4017 output is trying to produce 12V if it is powered from 12V. Its datasheet shows that its output drops to about 10V when driving an input of the NTE2018 then the input current is about 3.15mA.

The NTE2018 with an input current of only 3.15mA can easily provide an output current of its maximum allowed output current of 600mA.
How much current does your talon igniter need?

I know the 2018 will handle the talon igniter with no problem I never thought to look at the data sheet stupid mistake. will the 4017 handle a talon is the next question?

The datasheet of the Talon Igniter says it needs 500mA at 12V.
The datasheet for the CD4017 with a 12V supply shows that its maximum output current is only 22mA.

When the 4017 drives an input of the NTE2018 and the igniter does not fire then maybe the pulse duration is too short.

I have not tried it with a talon yet just have some 12v leds on the output side of the 2018 and they are not turning on but they are working on the output of the 4017 also did you see my post above tring to figure how to do it with a chip instead of all the and not gates

The NTE2018 is an expensive REPLACEMENT part with no details on its datasheet.
I do not see your schematic showing LEDs on the outputs of the NTE2018.
None of your posts show logic gates.

I have not posted a schematic I just put the leds on the output to test to see if the circuit will work it works to the input pine of the 2018 I thing I am pushing to much voltage to it will have to look at a different way of firing the 2018 here is the post I found earlier the person who posted it says it needs a logic circuit to increase its size I am tring to fire 80 shells at a 3 sec interval
Hi Ian,

I thought about cascading decimal counters of the type CD4017 and came to the conclusion that it can't be done just by wiring an output of one to the clock input of the follow on stage. That way the second counter would only advance by one if the preceeding has counted through 10, meaning the second stage would be clocked at 1/10 of the original frequency.

To overcome this problem an analog multiplexer can be used. I made up a small sample circuit showing the idea.

Inputs A,B, and C are binary coded inputs switching the common input to one of the outputs X0 through X7. All inputs low means X0 is active, input A = H means output X1 is active. To activate X7 all three inputs A,B and C have to be high.

The sample circuit does not include a logic coder to activate any desired output. If A and B inputs are high output X3 will be active. To have output X2 activated, input A requires turn off which can be accomplished by a coder circuit.

Anyway, the complete circuit lets you count from zero to 79 at the same time intervals.

Hans

Attached Thumbnails Newby looking for help with a Pyro/Fireworks Project-4017-sequencer.jpg

My suggestion would be a 7bit counter feeding (with some extra decoding logic) a bank of 74hc238 decoders. Use the outputs of the 238's to drive your darlington output stages. But you might look at using the ULN2803 darlington array. It is the original part that the NTE2018 is a replacement for.

Datasheets for the CD4017 show how to simply cascade them to get more sequenced outputs.

Attachments

• cascaded 4017s-1.PNG
    15.4 KB · Views: 355
  • cascaded 4017s-2.PNG
    43.6 KB · Views: 470
  • cascaded 4017s-3.PNG
    14.3 KB · Views: 413
I was looking at the data sheet on the uln2803 I am going to put 12v to fire the talons but what I am wondering is what voltage is needed to turn on the 2803 it will be coming from the 4017 EAGLE Schematic

Last edited:
I was looking at the data sheet on the uln2803 I am going to put 12v to fire the talons but what I am wondering is what voltage is needed to turn on the 2803 it will be coming from the 4017

triing to post a picture of my schematic but it wont let me for some reason sorry for double post

triing to post a picture of my schematic but it wont let me for some reason sorry for double post

hi,
What is the file extension type and file size.??

Are you trying to upload using 'Go Advanced' features.?

E

it is the right extension type file size not sure have not looked and where is advanced features

You are mixing 5V TTL 74LS with 12V Cmos. A CD4017 with a 12V supply probably will not be triggered from the 3.5V output high of the TTL IC.

When an output of the CD4017 goes high then the output of the power darlington IC goes low.

The ULN2801's are missing input current-limiting resistors that were on the NTE2018 so the CD4017 ICs might be damaged.

the 74 are not triggering the 4017 the 4051 is triggering the 4017 and the 4017 are triggering the 2018

You do have the 74348 interconnected with the 4000 series parts, so you do have 5V and 12V logic intermixed. But you can run the 4000 stuff on 5V.

The unselected outputs of the 4051 go hi-z, so that leaves the inputs of the 4017s that they drive floating, which is a big no-no for cmos. Put pullup/down resistors at each input to prevent spurious triggering of your igniters.

I still feel that a 7 or 8 bit counter driving an array of decoders would be a better way to accomplish your task. It would be a lot more straight forward.

I have all the outputs connected on the 4051. can you show me or give me the part# for a counter.
in the circuit I have drawn I plan on using the 5v for the 4051 and the 4017 and when the 4017 fires the 2801 it will put out the 12v. I do have a resistor of 10k at the outputs of the 4051 to ground just could not put them on the plans

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…