Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

odd project, 1 button adds a light 1 button takes a light away with sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinAlaska

Probably pretty odd of a thing to make but...

I am in the need to make a small thing that has a row of 10 lights (LEDs etc) and with 2 buttons and a speaker giving a tone when one of the buttons is pushed.

Button A would turn on one of those lights. hit the button again and it would add a second light and so on and so on, to a max of 10 lights. They would stack next to each other from left to right (from first light to the tenth light)

Button B would simply reverse the and take away the last light given to the order.

Maybe a 3rd button that would to just reset the lights (no matter how many lights are up). but not needed at all, just handy I guess.

Speaker would just give a beep or buzz or something each time the add a light button is pressed.

Here is a link to a diagram I did that kind of explains better what I am trying for. I hope it helps. https://images.elektroda.net/75_1179456614.jpg

Well if anyone know if this is a possible thing to make, can you let me know. I can then at least start to research it.

heh! It has been years sense college electronics class. I should be able to pull out my book some where in storage. Smiley I guess I really didn't have much to do this weekend anyhow. Smiley

Well best wishes and thank you everyone for your time.

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

hi kevin,
If you are unable to go the PIC route, you could consider using a 74190 BCD UP/DOWN counter with parallel load option [ zero all third button].

The 74190 would drive a 74154, 4 to 16 decoder, on each output line '1 to 10' connect a led with a series resistor to +5V.
The '0' position would represent all OFF.

PB#3, all OFF
PB#1, INC 74190 up, PB#2 DEC 74190 down.

Use a 7414 hex schmitt to clean up the PB pushes and also use part to make a 1kHz tone generator, beep on push.
Perhaps another logic gate maybe required.

Does this help?

EDIT: A 74191 bin up/down counter would be a better choice, rather than the 74190.

Last edited:
I would say that helps but in a word 'no' it also does not help... hehe.. no disrespect because my experience ended with inductors and capacitors. The knowledge I did gain in college was about 17 years ago. :)

I am aware of other areas in electronics but not knowledgeable enough to know if what you said will work or not. Again sorry for my ignorance.

I am pretty good with schematics, diagrams or written step by steps. But I don't expect anyone to go that far to help me.

I do see in part where you are going and it is a GREAT start for me. Thank you for the information I will start to research it if possible. If you have any other information to throw my way before I start I would gladly take what ever else you have or what anyone else might have.

I have to say though... This whole website is really pretty awesome.

Cheers and best wishes

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

Oh GOD! how funny. Thought I only had one reply when I wrote my reply and when reviewing I saw the first two. VERY FUNNY... There is a whole story behind that little bit of information.

but a question I should have asked.....

what the hell is a PIC? I know your not talking about GIF, JPG, TIFF etc. :confused:

again... best wishes

Kevin in Alaska

KevinAlaska said:
what the hell is a PIC? I know your not talking about GIF, JPG, TIFF etc. :confused:

Its a microcontroller made by microchip. Pretty easy to learn to use and alot of fun. Check out the link in Nigel's signature.

kevin,
If you do decide to go the non PIC route, I was planning to send you a working drawing that would enable to start the project.

You say you can read a circuit diagram, no doubt you have the will and the tools/components to get the job done.

>> Well if anyone know if this is a possible thing to make, can you let me know. I can then at least start to research it.
You say my suggestion didnt help, without wishing to sound 'picky' what do you want to know?? ....... Ask.

Regards.

Last edited:
You say you can read a circuit diagram, no doubt you have the will and the tools/components to get the job done.

I honestly dont care if I do a PIC or nonPIC method. I really do love to tinker when I can get the chance and I have all the took for the job (breadboard etc). I just know I will have to go out and buy some of the odds and ends (PNP, IC's, LEDs etc etc).

But as long as I have a willing member to coach me along the way then AWESOME. I love the idea of getting a chance to learn something new.

I am sorry I have not checked back this thread sooner. I have been messing around with my now dual boot system. I thought I would go back and play with kubuntu linux. I love all the freesoftware I can play with... but I digress.

Which would you recomend PIC or non PIC. I would guess PIC method would use moer parts (not that that matters).? Is the PIC method harder to troubleshoot?

once AGAIN... thank you SINCERELY!

Kevin in Alaska

Attachments

• Alaska.GIF
    Alaska.GIF
    14.7 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
KevinAlaska said:
But as long as I have a willing member to coach me along the way then AWESOME. I love the idea of getting a chance to learn something new.

Folks here range from people who can't google, through hobbyists (like me) right up to people who really know what they're on about and have retired from a professional life doing it. It's a good little corner of the web.

I am sorry I have not checked back this thread sooner. I have been messing around with my now dual boot system. I thought I would go back and play with kubuntu linux. I love all the freesoftware I can play with... but I digress.

Hehe. I will try to offer some advice on your current project, but I would be more qualified to help with the Linux stuff, since that's *my* profession. :)

Which would you recomend PIC or non PIC. I would guess PIC method would use moer parts (not that that matters).? Is the PIC method harder to troubleshoot?

Actually, I would expect the PIC solution to use fewer components, since it contains almost everything needed--you do all the work in software and just stick a button, some LEDs, a buzzer, and a handful of resistors on it. (That's oversimplified but not by a whole lot). Then you just write up some code which says essentially "if Button A was pressed, then beep and light another LED; if Button B was pressed, then beep and unlight the last LED lit".

The other way, you'd need at least a decade counter IC and some kind of latch setup to keep the correct LEDs lit.

Some reading which doesn't directly address your problem but which might be helpful: **broken link removed**

Last year I made my first digital circuit: a scoreboard for my foosball table, using the non-PIC way. It was fun, instructional, and if I had to do it again, I'd probably use a microcontroller like a PIC (or probably an 8051 since that's what I have a programmer for). My circuit would have probably one third the components, if that.

Note that if you use a PIC or other microcontroller you'll need a device to get the code onto it (a programmer), plus a "toolchain" (code editor, compiler/assembler) to prepare it.

once AGAIN... thank you SINCERELY!

Kevin in Alaska

Dunno if I'm helping or just being long-winded, but hopefully the former.

Good luck!

Torben

A microcontroller solution would work well and your requirements are relatively simple;

(A) Software debounce with switch press beep.
(B) Switch press "repeat" capability?
(C) Modes; <1> Up/Down, <2> Night Rider, <3>???

Unfortunately the learning curve for microprocessor development can be quite steep.

Perhaps some kind soul might code it and burn it into a chip for you.

Kind regards, Mike

Attachments

• Widget.PNG
    Widget.PNG
    33.5 KB · Views: 395
I hate to sound fake and overly fluffy... but fake can be read in my words by some and is probably an unneeded fear of mine. Being to fluffy with my words (ie kind hearted) is probably a guy emotion problem which I will not get into here and now but is needed here none-the-less.

But from my very "LITTLE" experience on here so far. People are AWESOME. We all have our short comings to be sure so I "TRY" not to judge others words much. Something I have learned when I played MMORPG games (ie EverQuest etc).

But before I digress any further, I would like to finish up and say thank you to everyone for helping me. I don't mind looking up stuff 'if' possible. But often enough time is lacking and ADD can get strong and kids and house and job and and and etc. can keep me busy. I am sure most of you fully know this simply because of your own busy lives.

I know this project would be easier for me if I did know 'what' to ask for in a google search. I am good at coming up with an abstract concept in my head (a finished product) but getting that concept to paper and paper to fact is a fully different game. :)

So again thank you for pointing me in the direction you can and thank you for the two picture files I downloaded and the words given. I know that takes 'time' out of your own lives and that is a gift.

I told you "FLUFF" was in there. :eek:

Well its 11:51pm and I can't do much with those files yet and those websites given (thanks!) until tomorrow after noon when I get some time. My kids just finished school this week so I should have some more time.

So BIG THANKS! (yet again) :D

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

One last quick note. Just checking out those web links before I shut down for the night... I guess I could use a digital read out from Zero to Nine instead of lights. Would that be easier?

Oh god! Maybe I shouldn't post this because it would just confuse things. :/

Hay Torben, Mind if I bother you with a off question about linux perchance. I have a USB HDD that was showing up sautrday night and sunday it only shows up as a folder in the media listing and shows up emply. In windowsXP shows up as still full of files. The drive is NTFS and I am using the "NTFS Config" program to give write access but still nothing.

Well anyhow. 12:05 AM. I am off to LaLa Land.

Best Wishes.

Kevin in Alaska

KevinAlaska said:
One last quick note. Just checking out those web links before I shut down for the night... I guess I could use a digital read out from Zero to Nine instead of lights. Would that be easier?

Oh god! Maybe I shouldn't post this because it would just confuse things. :/

Hey hey. Maybe that would make it more complex if you knew more than me, but to me that makes it easier. Use a 4510 up-down counter (I think I linked to that before for you) and plug its output pins into a BCD decoder, then run that to a 7-segment LED display. I haven't looked into how to hook up the buttons for that, but I don't think it should be a killer problem (famous last words).

Hay Torben, Mind if I bother you with a off question about linux perchance. I have a USB HDD that was showing up sautrday night and sunday it only shows up as a folder in the media listing and shows up emply. In windowsXP shows up as still full of files. The drive is NTFS and I am using the "NTFS Config" program to give write access but still nothing.

We should probably take this one off-list, but PM me. Click on my name to do that. Are you using ntfs-3g? And hey--do you know a Mary-Ellen in Fairbanks who used to play Diablo? :)

Well anyhow. 12:05 AM. I am off to LaLa Land.

Best Wishes.

Kevin in Alaska

I'm off too. Just halfway through watching Pan's Labyrinth for the second time in an evening.

Cheers,

Torben

Oh my!!!... It has been over 2 weeks sense I have been online. I am sorry it took me SOOO long to get back online to answer this. I have a lot of people here who gave me some of their time and I don't mean to leave them hanging. I hope everyone who has put time in this will know that I have finally gotten around to returning to the post.

(Torben said to me)
Hey hey. Maybe that would make it more complex if you knew more than me, but to me that makes it easier. Use a 4510 up-down counter (I think I linked to that before for you) and plug its output pins into a BCD decoder, then run that to a 7-segment LED display. I haven't looked into how to hook up the buttons for that, but I don't think it should be a killer problem (famous last words).

So you say this would be easier? I would LOVE to know how. I think the display would be easier to read, specially at a glance. I will look back up and see if I can find anything on this form of electronics. ANY assistance would be AWESOME!

do you know a Mary-Ellen in Fairbanks who used to play Diablo?

Not sure who that is and neither does my wife. My wife knows LOTS of people in this town (being a hair stylist). If you have anymore information I might be able to find out. Good chances really. Are you from here or just an online acquaintance or other? Well I should PM you this last part at lest get in contact once... You can emaill at kevinalaska@gmail.com as well if you wish.

Well let me know if there is anything else in the way of information on the electronics question... one button to add to the counter another button to take away form the counter and maybe a reset and a buzzing sound each time one is added... oh MAN!!! if I could get this made it would be sooo NIFTY! anyhow... thanks for EVERYONES Time!

Sincerely,

Kevin in Fairbanks, Alaska

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back