Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ohm meter onto a LED...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Hi.
What to expect checking an LED with an ohmeter; forward and reverse; or on 20 Mohm scale ? What about a string of series LEDs ?

It will depend on what the excitation voltage is of the meter.

My 34401A bench meter uses 2.6 Volts. Enough to forward bias some LEDs, but not all. So a low voltage LED would show something forward biased, but open if reverse biased. It would be useless for a string of LEDs as the individual forward voltages add.

The excitation voltage from my Tek DMM916 hand held meter is only 0.8 Volts. So it wouldn't forward bias any LED. A yellow LED I just checked showed open in both directions.

My fluke 87V applies 0.6mA to a diode or LED up to 3.9V so a white and blue LEDs are easily seen. The general iisers manual for 80- series fluke meter says 0.8v bjt the 87 is an oddball.

I have used meters that supply 1.5V on the "diode" test. It looks like meters vary, voltage from ohm-meter mode and diode-mode. And LEDs vary as much. Some meters have a low voltage mode (does not turn on silicon) and a high voltage mode (for testing silicon).

So it is hard to say what happens with your meter and your LEDs.

the best way to check LEDs is with a constant current source set for 10mA fed from a 5V power supply. if you want to read the forward voltage, connect a voltmeter to the output of the current source.

IIRC, one of my DMMs applies a constant current of 1 mA. Have to measure that to confirm. For diode test, I mean.

My multimeter does not light all LED colors so I use a 9V battery in series with a 390 ohms resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back