One 12v 30w motor controller by 2 x 5k pots

Pelock

Hi,

I have been getting back into electronics.

I have a 12volt 30 watt dc motor. I would like to find a way to control the motor speed from two different locations.

Parallel curcuit doesn't work and series is obviously not an option.

Ohms law comes obviously into effect.

I have a limited electromecanics knowledge from 2008.

I done tests with a 555and a triac, but in parallel, and Ohgms law comes into effect and plays with resistance values. Which I was expecting

I have a 7 pin rocker switch.. However, that only gives me one negative wire, and potentionmeters play with negative (-) wire to vary motors speed.

Im open to any circuit that will permit me to makes this idea work .

Has to be as simple as possible. 2 x5k pots ..one motor...vary speed from 2 locations using one or the other pot. I have no included any circuit because I'm out of ideas. Seems simple, but actually difficult to find someone who has done this on the net.

What I havce at my disposition
1 one Hanmatek HM305 bench voltage
2 x 5k pots
1 x 12v dc 30w motor
1 x 7 pin rocker switch.

Can anyone help ??

Thanks

The POTS are way to high resistance to directly control the motor, where its current is
30W / 12V =~ 2.5A.

Here is a simple circuit to do control of one : Note you can use your 5K pots in lieu of what they used.

Now for remote how far apart are the two control locations ?

If distance low and line of sight available : https://simple-circuit.com/arduino-remote-control-dc-motor/

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
For conveience, no line of sight path from control, one can consider :

Off the shelf modules : https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-remote-speed-control.html?spm=a2g0o.best.search.0

Regards, Dana.

The issue here is you want to control one drive from two potentiometer.Then you must use a selector switch to switch between which pot to use.If you have this option ,Then it is easy.
Just Switch between the pots.A SPDT switch is sufficient.
If you can not use switch,Then you need microcontroller based unit ,Which senses which pot is being adjusted at any point and makes that enabled.But defenitely you need a adjustable speed drive.So many online.

Selector doesnt not work .. I have tried it with a dpdt... Probleme is one negative wire... Unless you have a circuit for me....

Wouldnt know which microcontroller to use.. I want to stear away from arduinos... But can stay using electromecanical devices.

Im a a loss where to go with this... seems like a simple probleme.. been a month trying to find solution.

can you help.

I just got thrown a curve ball...

That circuit you sent is percect and your quick....

However, can it be adapted to control the throttle control on a 23hp gas engine .. See picture..

That pot on the motor is a 5k pot. I tested it. The voltage, is 5v dc comming of the efi motor.

All the 5k pot is doing is controlling the throttle actuator motor.

Do you guys think is can be adpated to this application. 2 pots one throttle actuator motor... %v dc comming from black...red and yellow wire from speed selector. I am open to anything that works. But as simple as possible.

Seems simple... but im not as experimented as you guys are.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• variable speed switch or 5k pot and throttle actuator motor.PNG
    527.3 KB · Views: 63
I need the full fledged wiring diagram between efi motor ouput via 5k pot to actuator motor and there should be driver in between.Because a simple 5k pot can not vary 3A load.

In case ,if you can not crack the wiring details .The below scheme should work.So the 2 way 3 pole rotary switch will switch between the pots.Follow the bottom diagram.Also will attach details of the rotary switch.

This is what I was able to find..

see attached files

Attachments

• connexion to ecm 1 .PNG
    161.5 KB · Views: 71
  • connexion to ecm 1.PNG
    164.5 KB · Views: 73
  • stepper motor on motor.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
  • stepper motor.PNG
    116.3 KB · Views: 92
  • throttle to ecm.PNG
    34.7 KB · Views: 70
So What you have is a stepper motor not DC motor and it is being driven by a stepper motor driver.And from previous post ,I gather that the stepper motor driver input control goes from a 5K pot.So post me the details on how and where this 5k pot is connected and also the pic of the pot.

this is all I was able to find.... Im think a circuit to switch between the 2 5k pots, but isoltated from one another... Ohm law comes into effect and split siglan over 2 pots when not isolated form one another.

Attachments

• 5k pot - 2.PNG
    380.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 5k pot.PNG
    403.4 KB · Views: 71
  • wire harness.PNG
    35.5 KB · Views: 64
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…