one output to many inputs best practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabireley

I am sending a PWM signal generated by a 555 timer to 8 AND gates (2-74LS08). The other input of each AND gate is tied to the output of a 4017 counter so the PWM signal is switched to 8 diffent motors as the counter advances. The circuit works and seems to be reliable.

My questions are:
From a best practices perspective is it ok connect ths single output to 8 gates? Is there a better way?
Are there any issues I should look out for when doing a PCB layout? Noise perhaps?

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited:
The 74LS08 has very high impedance inputs, which means they need very little current to "turn on".
I don't see why it would be "bad practice".

Another way is to use a true binary (74xx161) counter and a 74XX138 decoder/demultiplexer. If you have to short-cycle the counter then you'll need to decode the top count, but if you're using all 8 outputs of the decoder, it might save you an IC.

Last edited:
Thanks Roff!

I just looked at the data sheets for both and it looks like it could work. It would save a chip and the short counting is not necessarily a requirement since the user will reset the device manually after n number of servos have been actuated. I will see if I have a LS161 laying around. I know I have some LS138's.

One thing I did not mention is the pulse to increment the 4017 counter is from an external device that outputs a 250ms 6v pulse. Every time the user pushes a button on the external device, its output goes high for 250ms. I share the ground between the external device and my circuit.

Thanks!

74XX163 or 74xx93 should also work. There are also up/down counters (74xx193) that would work.

The PWM is really a servo signal that adjusts based on the voltage applied to pin 7 of the 555 counter and is separate from the signal used to clock the counter.
The counter increments each time a pulse pulse comes in from an external device. The pulse is user controlled with a button on a remote control transmitter.

I need to study the datasheets a bit more to figure out how to wire the devices to achieve the same end result as using the 4017 and AND gates.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…