Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Optical counter!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BooGTS

I would like to create a circuit that would count the number of times a light turns on and display that on an digital readout. What would I need and where is a good place to get this kinda stuff? Sorry for the newb question, any help would be appreciated!

You would likely start with some form of photo sensitive device to sense the light on/off. Relatively simple circuit there and feed that signal to a basic counter circuit that would drive a 7 segment LED display. You can have options of 0 through 9 or 0 through 99 or actually whatever you want for a high end count as you don't mention. There are hundreds of counter circuits in these forums based on a few different chips. The parts are available from any electronic parts house and since we have no clue as to your location it is hard to say.

Ron

Last edited:
I figured online, but I'm in Royal Oak Michigan. I just wasn't sure how the optical device hooks up to the counter, and internet searches have been fruitless. Going to Radio Shack these days will likely get me talked into buying a cell phone...

LMAO, actually Radio Shack has a small 5 pack of photo cell sensors for under $3 which would be a good start. How high will this thing count? You can have about anything you want but....the higher the count the more parts.

Actually this thread mentions the photo cells I was talking about and has several links and light sensing circuits.

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back