OS for PICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relic

What operating system is the one of choice for most people here?

I'm curious about PICs and only use Gentoo.

Is there support for that?

blueroomelectronics said:
XP is your best choice, not too many tools for Linux.

But for sanity purposes, i would suggest dual booting before defacing a perfectly good linux mind.

gentoo? I didn't know that distro was still alive.

forget dual booting, only thing it's good for is gaming. just emerge virtualbox and load up windows in a virtual machine.

It may be. I own a copy or 2, but I haven't used windows in years. My wife does.

I found some links on PICs in Linux. It appears to be less developed, but now being done at least.

**broken link removed**

You guys know anything about that?

It sounds cheap and dirty. I may give it a go.

It's certainly the best OS Microsoft has managed to come up with, at any rate.

I really liked Win98. It was WAY to easy to "hack". Nothing was secure, and it worked.

I do honestly like xp, and would choose it over Pista any day (assuming linux wasn't a choice... )

Marks256 said:
I really liked Win98. It was WAY to easy to "hack". Nothing was secure, and it worked.

I do honestly like xp, and would choose it over Pista any day (assuming linux wasn't a choice... )

Yeah, 98 was better than what came before, but XP let me get through a recording session without having to tell the band that the perfect take was blown because the OS had randomly decided to die for a while.

Torben

I though about getting Vista (I have XP) but could not figure out why I wanted it. I have the most spartan windows setup, I don't need or want my OS to entertain or dazzle me. I just want it to run my apps.

justDIY said:
gentoo? I didn't know that distro was still alive.

forget dual booting, only thing it's good for is gaming. just emerge virtualbox and load up windows in a virtual machine.

Pfff of couse Gentoo is still alive, it cannot be killed. Still going strong

You can do PIC programming in linux

http://hyvatti.iki.fi/~jaakko/pic/picprog.html
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

and these are just the few that were thrown up by the extreamly generic "eix PIC" in my Gentoo system

Also some PIC makers provide linux software as well

Linux is great for electronics stuff. And yer if you really do need windows, use it in VirtualBox for those instances

mmm my mistake, must of confused it with the PIC softcore you can get for FPGA's

Anyway lots of OSS/linux based PIC tools

blueroomelectronics said:
I though about getting Vista (I have XP) but could not figure out why I wanted it. I have the most spartan windows setup, I don't need or want my OS to entertain or dazzle me. I just want it to run my apps.

I'm running XP under VMware Fusion on a Macbook. The Junebug works fine, and MPLAB too. Very nice indeed, the Junebug! Very fast and stable. I'm also using Linux a lot for private, and XP at work. I like OS X best, but all OS'es has their pros and cons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…