Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OS for PICs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you seriously imagine a PIC running Linux.

Marks256 said:
I really liked Win98. It was WAY to easy to "hack". Nothing was secure, and it worked. ;)

I do honestly like xp, and would choose it over Pista any day (assuming linux wasn't a choice... :))

Historically any new OS release from Microsoft is less desirable then then the previous tried and true OS. It takes a few years for them to get it right.

After a service pack or two Vista may be worth considering.

3v0 said:
Historically any new OS release from Microsoft is less desirable then then the previous tried and true OS. It takes a few years for them to get it right.

After a service pack or two Vista may be worth considering.

kinda but not in this case

MS peaked with Windows-2000 after that the extra's they added were minimal but the code-bloat and feature-bloat increased

MS have even admitted that Vista is bloated.
with "Windows7" due out ~2010 AND XP still VERY usable I wouldn't even concider downgrading to vista

Styx said:
kinda but not in this case

MS peaked with Windows-2000 after that the extra's they added were minimal but the code-bloat and feature-bloat increased

MS have even admitted that Vista is bloated.
with "Windows7" due out ~2010 AND XP still VERY usable I wouldn't even concider downgrading to vista

To say that MS has peaked is to say they will never produce better. It must be nice to own a crystal ball.

As an industry, software people need to understand what the underlying problems are that resulted in vista. I doubt that they are unique to MS.

Styx said:

I certainly wouldn't have said so, I've always found 2000 to be pretty poor, XP SP2 has been far better.

I always preferred 2K. I suppose everyone has their own opinion.

We used to use 2k at our school. When they crashed, I had to fix them. :( Now we are starting to get newer computer donated to us from IBM, and they have XP on them.

As of right now, we have one lab of ~30 computer with 2k of them. Soon they will be replaced with better computers. if i have my way, we will have Linux on these machines. I can only hope...

3v0 said:
To say that MS has peaked is to say they will never produce better. It must be nice to own a crystal ball.

As an industry, software people need to understand what the underlying problems are that resulted in vista. I doubt that they are unique to MS.

Some of them are, due to the fact that Microsoft is itself unique.

Why bother waiting for them to polish the turd that is Vista, when there are alternatives which can do the job just fine?

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back