PARALLEL 8 BIT OUTPUT FROM LM35

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandestlama

Hello,

I am working on a project to measure ambient temperature using a small microntroller.

I originally planned to use the DS1621 temperature sensor which gives a digital equivalent of the measured temperature in as a serial output to the microcontroller. Unfortunately for me, the DS1621 is not currently available at the local store so I decided to revert to the common LM35. the problem is that LM35 gives an analog output and since i want to interface with a microntroller, I would like to have a digital equivalent of the measured temperature in the form of an 8 bit word available in parallel form.

I would want to keep the circuit as simple as possible. an would be grateful for any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks.

The obvious way would to use a microcontroller with built-in A2D, and read the analogue sensor output directly. There seems very little reason to want to use a parallel connection?, it's highly wasteful of I/O, and offers no advantages for this application.

If the microcontroller you're using doesn't have A2D, you could use an external one - or add an external microcontroller that has analogue inputs, for example the small 8 pin PIC12F675 could read the sensor and transfer the value via a serial connection using one pin to your main controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…