Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
SanjayPhirke said:
The problem is with the motherboard. Check the electrolytic capacitors. If the tops of some capacitors are swelled, change them.

It's a common problem, there were huge numbers of motherboards fitted with faulty electrolytics a few years ago.

audigy has the same problems with their caps too. A $100+ sound card and they go and use $0.0003 caps on it (yes, I exaggerated). Cause every penny they save becomes thousands. I am really gonna hate becoming an engineer and having to do skimpy designs to save a penny per unit.

Ambient said:
audigy has the same problems with their caps too. A $100+ sound card and they go and use $0.0003 caps on it (yes, I exaggerated). Cause every penny they save becomes thousands. I am really gonna hate becoming an engineer and having to do skimpy designs to save a penny per unit.

I presume you don't know the story?, so I'll do a brief recap:

An electrolyte manufacturer designs a new electrolyte.
An employee leaves, stealing the formula as he goes, and goes to work for a rival company.
The rival put the new electrolyte into production, and sell it to large numbers of electrolytic capacitor manufacturers.
The original company continues developing the product, as it wasn't ready for production yet.
Result, millions of capacitors manufactured with faulty electrolyte - so massive, massive failure rates world wide.

tnx guys for your concerns...

i already had my pc running at full speed! :D hehe... however, i did not figured out the problem, what i did is take the hardware from the motherboard do some cleaning and put them back. i also found an inflated cap beside the processor, but i did nothing with that cap (im too scared :eek: ). maybe i can ask you guys if i again encountered some probs...

anyway what should be done with that inflated cap??? my pc is somehow ok right now?

tnx again...

@MR said:
anyway what should be done with that inflated cap??? my pc is somehow ok right now?

You should replace it, and any others which show the slightest bulge - it will probably cause the computer to crash more than it otherwise would.

very funny experience... right when i had my pc working, i immediately visit this forum, when i had my last post, right after i submit my reply, may pc hangs up, well i need to reset it and after that, it happens again. what i got to do is to repeat what i first did, well i did not made some cleaning anymore, and here i again be able to use the pc...

only one inflated cap is found...

what wattage rating of solder should be used for soldering the new cap???
does 16W solder is safe to use?
is it ok if i replace the cap without removing the processor???
plss assist me with your working experience... i think i really nid safety instructions and precautions... this is my very first experience with such problem...

tnx

Last edited:
I used a 50W temperature controlled iron to do mine, I changed four capacitors, all were the same value - I didn't bother removing the processor or anything else.

It depends if your 16W iron is big enough for the job?, bear in mind it's a multi-layer throughhole plated board, so you need it hot enough not to rip the plating out.

i was not able to reply immediately cause same prob continuously interrupts me... i think have no choice and i really nid to do it...

It depends if your 16W iron is big enough for the job? said:
50W? whoa!... does it mean that high temp will not harm any of the components? is the motherboard not sensitive as i think or maybe it depends on how long the components will be exposed with that amount of heat?

i'm using my 16W solder doing some projects, but when desoldering some recycled components like from speaker amplifier or replacing some components, i nid to hold the solder several seconds for the lead to be completely melted, well some other components were not harmed... somehow i have 20W for that job...

my problem is how long should i let the board be exposed to solder temp that other components be not harmed??? tnx

Last edited:
Mostly I'm replacing Parts in very sensistive devices from my 30W soldering iron.(not like mobile phones)
I just keep the soldering iron until it gets hot.After I remove the plug from the AC wall switch & started to solder or remove parts in the board.

@MR said:
my problem is how long should i let the board be exposed to solder temp that other components be not harmed??? tnx

well really it depends on whats around the cap if it's just a few resistors it should be ok (but knowing a computer it's probably not) just be carful not to un solder anything else as i think they would be surface mount and hard to get back on:)

@MR said:
50W? whoa!... does it mean that high temp will not harm any of the components? is the motherboard not sensitive as i think or maybe it depends on how long the components will be exposed with that amount of heat?

No high temperature, it's a temperature controlled iron - so it's far safer than a 16W iron, which may be too hot.

This person does not sound familiar with soldering irons.
Or soldering.
Or motherboards.

It might be better for him to get someone to help
who is more familiar with printed circuit work.

Changing a capacitor on a motherboard is not always a piece of cake.

Speed is usually essential, and that takes practice.
And i think he said its next to the processor ... ?

John :)

hi everyone... tnx for all the advice... i first replace the caps at the power supply, then i try to start my pc and here... :D

again tnx...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back