PCB Fab in a box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi every1

Have someone ever used this?
**broken link removed**

I would like to try it because I have never got the iron transfer method correct and just gave up on it.
I bought everything to make my own boards so if this method with the laminator works I will definitley buy
this for me.

What do you guys think of this product?

I think the price is a little steep. I would price everything individually. You can go to the manufacturer's website . Check the prices if you just buy directly from them. Also, they have a list of suppliers. If I were just starting I'd buy the Toner Transfer Paper, the green foil, some 1 oz 1/32" thick boards, and a laminator. You only need the white foil if you plan on making labels for your boards. The boards as large as the ones that come with the kit may not be needed by you right away or ever. You can find much cheaper copper clad boards if you look around.

This system DOES work and the support provided by the manufacturer is very good.

Last edited:
I also thought of buying the items individually. At this moment I'm only going to use single sided boards and not very big. All my projects that I want to do is small.
I also have a few boards at home that I bought when I tried the iron method that I couldn't get right. I just need the laminator and some of the transfer paper. Maybe white foil for the labels. Will see about that.

But thanks, all I really wanted to know if it works. Now I must start emailing for quotes ect.

Yes it works. Attached is a picture of a board I made recently using the method you are interested in. I used an IC with an MSOP-10 package. I marked on the picture the spot where the space in between the pads was only .2mm. By the "iron-on method" are you talking about Press & Peel Blue?

Attachments

• ETO_uplink..JPG
    553.2 KB · Views: 933
WOW!! That board looks really neat! Now I'm definitely going to buy the laminator ect.
Yes it was the press & peel method but I didn't use the blue one's. I bought a different product. Etchtron. It was on special and I bought a pack of 10.
Only tried once or twice but then I gave up due to limited time.

OK, never tried Etchtron. The only two products I've tried are the Press & Peel Blue and the Toner Transfer Paper. Both products work equally well and I go back and forth on which one I use depending on the specific board I'm making.

My first attempts at making boards was with the Press & Peel Blue and I tried to use an iron. The etch resist images came out terrible and I got very frustrated.

My point is, the thing that makes the BIGGEST difference for me is using the laminator over the iron, not the specific sheets I use. You may find that the Etcheron works just as well as the Toner Transfer Paper once you get a lamintor.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Ok that makes sence. So it's more the laminator that makes the difference and not so much the paper.
Will try the paper I have with the laminator when I get it and see how it works.
If I may ask what program do you use for your drawings?

Ok that makes sence. So it's more the laminator that makes the difference and not so much the paper.

That has been my experience but like I said I have never tried the Etchtron paper before.

If I may ask what program do you use for your drawings?

I use Eagle. There are other softwares out there that are available but I like this one. There are a lot or mixed opinions about Eagle. It's got a little bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it's very useful in my opinion.

If you search the forum for Eagle PCB I'm sure you'll find plenty of threads discussing it and its features.

That is my problem with Eagle. The learning curve. Tried it before but didn't like it so much. I used a different one. I forgot the name and uninstalled a lot of programs a while back because my space on my laptops hdd was low and I think I uninstalled that program also :-(
I'm actually busy going through my downloaded files now to see if I still have the install file of the program.

Well if you want to give Eagle another try you can actually run it directly from a USB drive so no HDD space is required. If you want to explore other softwares I'm sure a quick search of the site will turn up plenty of past threads with people asking for advice on which PCB software to use.

I will give Eagle another try. Luckily now I don't have a space issue anymore. Bought an external drive to backup data on.

Thanks for the info vne147

I myself use the Pulsar toner transfer method. The results come out much better after I started using a lamina tor.
When you get the FAB IN A BOX, (I use expressPCB for designs) read the directions AND read the tips on their website.
After talking with rep (great customer support) I found that you put the board through the lamina tor numerous times switching directions. THEN cool off immediately with water. USE the green TTF file as well. makes the lines fuller, no pinholes.
An amazing thing that I had to try was making .006 traces. YES they are possable.
Good luck

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!
I used Sprint Layout before and liked it.
Will also try expressPCB and see how it goes.
I already placed my order and did the payment.
Can't wait for the the delivery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…