Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB mask making question: inkjet iron-on transfer paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfmorgan

New guy here... I did a search & didn't find any threads that touched on this idea...
I have a couple packs of Avery T-shirt transfer paper, & was wondering if anyone has tried using it for PCB's... In theory it seems like it would work fine, just don't want to trash a board trying it, if anyone else had already had some experience with it... :)

Also, any specific screenprinting ink that's best for PCB's? Or will regular black work?

Thanks!

Wolf
wolfmorgan@hotmail.com

i think it will cause the whole paper coating to transfer causeing the entire board to be covered and nothing will be etched. You need to use toner so just the plastic like material is transfered as far as I know.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that aspect...
I use 2 types of the transfer paper, one for light colors, & one for darks... The dark kind definately has a full coverage layer, just haven't noticed it on the thin stuff... Looks like I'll stick to the photopaper/copier method for now...
Still looking into the clear acetate / photo emmulsion method though, as that's how I do silk screens, just need to get the chemicals to try it out... :)

Wolf

Hi wolfmorgan,

I am very interested in the iron on T-shirt transfer paper.
Can you print a coloured picture on it from an inkjet ?
Will it transfer on to glass ?
Does it transfer neatly, or blurred edges ?

I'm interested in putting pictures on to glass,
which can be lit from behind.
Not very big, or very bright, but i want them to be neat.

Slightly off topic, but i would like to know,

Cheers, John :)

I haven't tried the iron-on stuff on glass, but I have used the clear window decal stuff from Hammermill alot. :)
I've done backlit displays similar to Trek 'LCARS' panels, & it's super sharp... I've used it both for simple backlit & for more translucent 'stainglass' effects... The best results is to apply it with a soft cloth , peeling the backing off as you press it on in a steady foward press, like applying window tint...

I'll try the iron on stuff & see how it works, could be a very neat effect, especialy if it will work on metal as well... Would be great for making custom display plaques...

Wolf

Hi wolfmorgan,

I don't know what 'clear window decal stuff' is,
i want to do it through an inkjet colour printer,
so that subsequent repeat operations would be the same.

I'm not sure applying with a cloth would do it ...

I don't know what Trek LCARS panels are,
but i am pleased to hear that it is nice and sharp.

I have a transparency which is a piece of clear 'paper'
which is made for inkjet printing, the shop tells me
that it will accept normal inkjet printing.

I had in mind to print the little logos i want, then
to cut them out and stick them on with glue, but if
i can iron them on instead, using some T-shirt transfer
paper that would be much better.

And probably neater than me trying to cut them carefully.

The clear window decals are for inkjet printing, & they self-adhesive...
Another option would be to try the crystal-clear inkjet labels from Avery, they are in the address label section of office supply stores... :) They would probably be more durable than the window decals too...

Wolf

Labels, yes, labels.
I never thought of labels.
Yes, labels might be good.

But i would still like to try ironing the image
straight on to the glass, i will have to see if
i can get some to try.

Use HP Glossy Photo paper in a laserjet. Transfer the toner by ironing ~2 minutes on the higher temp and carefully tear off the paper (maybe soak first. I'm going to expiriment with this as a lot of people seem to get very good results. Inkjet will not work (i heard) since the ink is not etch proof.
Do a google for toner transfer pcb and you'll get many sites inculding this one.
**broken link removed**

EJK

I just made a board 2 days ago using the method described on the link KOEZE posted above.

I used Epson glossy photo paper (it's cheaper than most of the HP papers, i got 2 packs of it for $10)

I printed my designs, and took them to an office supply place and had them photocopy them onto the photo paper for me, on the darkest setting (i don't have a laser printer)
Ironing took me a couple of tries... but if you put a block of wood under the board, and then iron carefully on the hottest setting for a few minutes... never slide the iron around on the board, always lift and press... keep pretty solid pressure on it...
then dunk the board with paper on it into cold water to make sure the toner is solidified, and then throw it into some warm/hot soapy water, and let it soak for about 20 minutes. then the paper peels right off. clean out the little bit of paper fiber that stuck between the traces, etc... and you're ready to etch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back