Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB quote please!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beakie

OK, this is open to everyone.

How much can you print me a professional PCB for that is 6*4.5 inches big (2 layers with about 6 vias)? Also, how many copies would I get for that amount?

I don't need this printing immediately... but very soon....

THANKS!

You'll need to provide more info than that.

Miniumum track sizes/clearance? Material of board? Board thickness? Copper thickness? Plated holes? Plated tracks? Number of drill sizes? Number of holes? Routing? Timescale?

Last edited:
You'll need to provide more info than that.

Miniumum track sizes/clearance? Material of board? Board thickness? Copper thickness? Plated holes? Plated tracks? Number of drill sizes? Number of holes? Routing? Timescale?

Without that information ...working on the basis that its not too complicated with about 200 holes (its basically a board with loads of screw terminals on), what would you say would be an expected price range?

I know nothing about board types/copper thickness etc :(

In PCB manufacturing, there is usually a fixed setup charge and then a per-unit charge. The setup charge dominates the total for small volumes, so the price per unit changes rapidly when you go from, say, 5 pieces to 100 pieces. PCBCART.com quoting tool gave these prices:

setup charge (also called tooling charge): $51
unit price if you order 5 boards: $11.50 per board
unit price if you order 10: $7.84
unit price if you order 50: $4.62

So, for 5 boards, your total would be $108.50 plus shipping which is usually about $20 or so.

Thanks for that. Sadly that was the sort of figure I was fearing.

Also, I am UK based so does anyone have any UK quotes?

I don't want you to think I am bring lazy. I HAVE googled it and done some online quotes but it's all so expensive and I am sure there must be a cheaper way.

I have had a couple of PMs before about people getting together in groups to buy together. Can anyone quote me for a group purchase in the UK?

This first board can be made using the thinnest, cheapest material. It is only a prototype (that I kinda don't really expect to work)... hence my efforts to keep the prices to a bare minimum! I don't want to spend over a hundred GBP to find I have messed up with my first ever print!

Thanks

Last edited:
For prototypes that you don't expect to work, build a working version without using a commercial pcb. There are many techniques that are used for one-off versions including:

no-solder plugboards
pre-punched pad-per-hole perfboard or stripboard plus handwiring using wire-wrap (30AWG) wire
point to point wiring from component to component without using any board at all
hand-cut pcb layout using knife or rotary power tool
hand drawn etch resist using resist pen or sharpie, followed by chemical etching
toner transfer method for printing resist on a copper board followed by chemical etching

I've used all of these. The best choice depends on what components you are using and how complex the wiring is. The use of stripboard or pad-per-hole perfboard is flexible, inexpensive and effective for common leaded parts.

The Matrix boards I use (and designed) have round solder lands for each hole and you place the components in the exact same places as you want them on your final design. You then connect the lands with fine tinned or enamelled wire.
The end result is exactly like the final design. You then make the PCB and it works perfectly.

RadioRon said:
toner transfer method for printing resist on a copper board followed by chemical etching

The advantage to this is that you are also doing REV 0 of the PCB. Lets you check parts placement and build issues. Even better if you use Eagle and start with the schematic editor. It is easy to make mods to the schematic as you mod the PCB with cuts and grass. When the unit works you use the layout editor to make the PCB match the schematic.

But use what works for you.

Thanks for that. Sadly that was the sort of figure I was fearing.

Also, I am UK based so does anyone have any UK quotes?

I don't want you to think I am bring lazy. I HAVE googled it and done some online quotes but it's all so expensive and I am sure there must be a cheaper way.

I have had a couple of PMs before about people getting together in groups to buy together. Can anyone quote me for a group purchase in the UK?

This first board can be made using the thinnest, cheapest material. It is only a prototype (that I kinda don't really expect to work)... hence my efforts to keep the prices to a bare minimum! I don't want to spend over a hundred GBP to find I have messed up with my first ever print!

Thanks

Prototype PCB Quote & Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back