Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB thermal resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

I am planning to do a project with 3x Luxeon Rebel LEDs running at 2.5W each. They have a solderable copper thermal pad on bottom. I have about 2 sq in of area for this board. These LEDs are new and remarkable in that they can maintain a long life at 135C junction temp, among other things.

Still it is beneficial to keep this system as cool as possible, for both better output and not burning people.

I have seen the most likely solution seems to be using the PCB area as cooling and perhaps some additional aluminum area, which would be a tricking mating issue.

I have some PCB 0.075in thick, probably 1 oz (maybe 2oz?) copper. I also have some super-thin stuff, 0.016" 1/2 oz. I can get some 5oz copper too but the board is quite thick. I might thermal epoxy the PCB onto some aluminum to get some cooling out of the backside.

Here's my primary question. The thicker boards here would reduce thermal dissipation through the board to an aluminum backing. However the thinner boards come with thinner copper and that would cut down on lateral is thermal conduction. This will result in the copper near the component getting hot while the copper near the edges does not get very hot which reduces the dissipation on the topside as well as the conduction through the board to the backside. I did a test with the first board and a thermal probe, could see the temp gradient moving away from the component, wasn't all that high but it was definitely a different temp right beside the component and 1/4" away.

So how can I determine if the thicker board/thicker copper or thinner board/thinner copper (esp thinner board on aluminum) is the way to get the lowest total thermal resistance? Is cooling through the backside even going to have a significant effect, knowing that PCB material is not a strong thermal conductor?

There are additional mounting concerns which keep leading me to the conclusion that the top surface may need to be covered so it will see limited airflow, back to the idea that the copper needs to spread out the heat so it can effectively leak through to the back.

hi,
This link offers thermal conductive adapter pads.

IIRC you can get a PTFE version of the Epoxy pcb.
I would suggest 2oz copper as a minimum. At 135C it likely that standard epoxy copper track will 'lift' off the pcb when heat stressed.

**broken link removed**

http://www.labtechcircuits.com/pdf_datasheets/MetalBackedPTFE.pdf

Last edited:
Well the 135C is the sustainable junction temp can be 135C. At 2.5W * 10C/W the max pad temp would be 110C. I'd prefer to stay away from that.

Those pads are for Luxeon Stars, which had 2 problems- the backing is aluminum and generally cannot be soldered, and it's not electrically neutral either so it can't be bolted directly onto a grounded or shared heatsink.

But these are Luxeon Rebels, a totally different product. The thermal pad is copper which means the thermal resistance to a copper board can be very low.

Hey that PTFE board looks neat. I had wondered about that "aluminum core PCB" stuff that they used for the Luxeon Stars too. However, I don't see any way to get ahold of raw stock cheap and any professional prototyping in this area's gonna be crazy expensive.

Actually I had another look at the guy's 5 oz board, the single sided stuff is only 0.030! That's probably the way to go I think, it's got as thick a copper as I could hope for and the FR4 is on the thin side so that should be about the lowest thermal resistance I could hope for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back