PCMCIA to RS232 for ICD2 clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

clockdoctor

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has managed to get an ICD2 clone (RS232 only) to work with a PCMCIA to RS232 converter. If so, which brand?

I've tried USB to RS232 converters and they don't work. MPLAB returns the error "Non-existant port", despite the port being listed in its own ICD2 connection settings menu. I think the problem might be the lack of an IRQ / IO address. HyperTerminal works over the USB to RS232 converter.

Thus far, I've only been able to use my ICD2 clone with the RS232 port on my desktop computer, but I'm eager to take it on the move with my laptop.

Thanks for any advice you can offer

You'll need to go into the device manager (windows) and change the port settings of the usb/232 adapter. MPLAB will only accept the next unused serial port, I imagine in your case that would be com1. So you'll select com1 even if it says it's in use. Then unplug and plug back in, should be (windows should now assign com1 to the adapter every time you plug it in) recognized by MPLAB now.

Good luck!

Dear fargonaz,

Thanks for the tip. I never would have worked that out. I have yet to establish a connection to the ICD2, but MPLAB is now able to open the COM port and attempts communication. Major progress.

The problem might lie in the chipset in the USB to RS232 adaptor. It is SemiTech, which I have read elsewhere might be fraught with problems. I'll try and borrow another converter with a different chipset, or even buy a PCMCIA to RS232 adaptor. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for the advice. A major step towards a solution.

Hello,

Sorry for the long delay in replying. MPLAB just sort of gave up trying to communicate with the ICD2 when using the USB to RS232 cable, although it was able to open the port. I forget the error number. Google revealed by adaptor used the SemiTech chipset, which is apparently not very good compared to the competition.

I bought a PCMCIA to RS232 converter on eBay (branded BBL) and it seems to work okay - but there wasn't any documentation with it and the driver doesn't use standard Windows settings, so anyone going down this route may require some basic knowledge of RS232.

Best regards,

CD

Hi everyone,

I also face the same problem. I have a cloned ICD2 (with only RS232 connection) and my USB-to-Rs232 converter seems to have some problems.

It's from BAFO technology.

When I try to connect to ICD2, the MPLAB failed to download new OS. The warning is ICD0082.

Anyone face the same problem here?

Not all USB to RS232 adapters are created equal, the I/O networks units work perfectly but cost $$. Try locating different drivers, and also you must disable the FIFO buffers (and reboot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…