Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

people counter circuit (turnstile)

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidworker

hi, im doing a project and i have always struggled with the electronics side of the design process. Would anyone have a simple circuit that would count people and display the number on a seven segment?

How are you going to detect people at the turnstile? How many display digits do you want? What will power your circuit?

its a simple little circuit but im completely lost when it comes to seven segment drivers and other such chips! its gunna be one of those 3 armed turnstiles you get at train stations. its going to count to 30 (so two seven segs) then there will be a green light and a red light so that once thirty is reached the green light will go off and the red will come on, there will be a time delay and then it will reset. I think im using a slotted opto to detect each person going through the gate and its powered by a 9v battery. Any help would be appreciated but if not i appreciate your time!

I think im using a slotted opto to detect each person going through the gate
I've heard of getting a camel through a needle's eye; but people through a slotted opto ?:D Presumably they have to run a card through the slot?
So, you'll need a bit of signal conditioning to get the opto signal up to logic level, then use the conditioned signal to clock a decade counter which on overflow clocks a second counter. The count values will need to be decoded to a 7-segment format which is then displayed on a pair of 7-seg displays. Logic gates will recognise the count of 30, toggle the lights, start a delay. On delay time-out the counters will be reset and the lights toggled.
You might want to consider blanking the displays for most of the time, to save battery power.
Google for datasheets relating to 7-seg displays and decoders, also counters, to get a better understanding of those.

Last edited:
I said that wrong! :D a small part of the rotating turnstile will pass through a slotted opto to indicate when a person has passed through! Thanks very much for all the advise and the useful link :) im new to this site but its great to get help like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back