Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC and USB - HELP !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read the term "Descriptor" can anybody figure out the meaning of this expression?

It's just a packet of information that "describes" something. The USB spec defines several descriptors by listing their contents, and the size and location (within the descriptor) of each of those contents.

Hello Again, I found a different PIC that can perform USB connection PIC16C745 I think dealing with this PIC is simpler, and the Help of PROTON IDE includes information about.
I have read the term "Descriptor" can anybody figure out the meaning of this expression?

Yes, it's a VERY old device, and OTP - although you can (and must) buy a VERY expensive UV eraseable (JW) version for development.

Thank you Nigel Goodwin for clearing the idea about 16C745.
At first i was looking for doing a USB application, to be used later in my graduation project as a connection between PC and the MCU. I was not looking on the version of the device.
But because i didnt find any ready code for 18F and found one for 16C i decided to use the latter.
Now, ill search again for a code on proton basic that works on 18F

Thanks Again Nigel Goodwin,
Is the C compiler easy to deal with ? Would you please tell me how can i get this compiler. and how to start learning about it. I have a previous knowledge on using C language but not with PIC. I dont know how it will differ.
Sorry for bothering ....

Thanks Again Nigel Goodwin,
Is the C compiler easy to deal with ? Would you please tell me how can i get this compiler. and how to start learning about it. I have a previous knowledge on using C language but not with PIC. I dont know how it will differ.
Sorry for bothering ....

Sorry, but I don't write C myself, I just use assembler - there are a number of people on here though who are working hard using the C18 compiler, and even one who's started tutorials about it.

Microchip has a free USB stack in source code that's written in C for their C18 compiler. You can download the student edition for free.

You don't say where you are but you should look into the USB Bit whacker project
https://www.schmalzhaus.com/UBW/index.html
You can buy kits and prebuilt versions from from sparkfun
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8265
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=762
Or you can assemble your own from the designs at the UBW home. There are lots of people that use this and they can help you get it working. The sparkfun UBW forum is fairly active. Brian (Mr UBW) is always on there helping people - he's definitely a good guy. The nice thing is you can use their firmware to verify your hardware before you chase off after your own design.

Edit: oops, didn't see that nigel already pointed you at UBW. The link I gave is directly to their home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back