Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICDsp tutorials anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramos1

I will pull the datasheets, but before I did I went looking for a PICDsp
tutorial. Found 2 hits one in Spanish..

Would I be better off doing a DSP tied to a pic price wise and programming wise. Any DSP guru's have advice. Tools I will need, low cost chip, tutorials?

Well there is a cheap - $36.90 - development board here:
https://www.futurlec.com/dsPIC30F2010_Board.shtml
This comes with its own programmer, and it is supposed to come with some sample programs. (I never received these!)
The board is not too bad, and uses its own programmer, winPic800. Next time, though, I think I'd rather just order a chip - the dsPIC30F2010 is only $8.90/one - and an Olimex board. That would be cheaper, and I could use my ICD2 to program it.
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=18
for $15.95, or a USB one for $30.95:
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=19

I still haven't started, and would still like to come upon a good tutorial, so if you happen to find one, please let me know.
Regards,
Robert

Hi Robert

I also have the 18F458 development board from Futurlec. I had considerable difficulty initially due to questionable instructions and difficulties with the included programmers (WinPic and the generic programmer). Both kept giving error messages. I finally deciphered the Thai language on the ETT website enough to download another programmer, called EPIC, which worked beautifully.

As to sample programs, they are on the disc that came with your board. Unfortunately, the only test program immediately available blinks the test LED on the board. For the others, you have to supply your own LEDS, relays, speakers, etc., and presumably your own circuit. I haven't gotten into that yet.

Another discovery I made from trying to get this board operational is that you must have either a 13-16 volt PSU (I made one with an LM317), or a suitable Wallwart, but that must be disconnected following programming (or at least that's the way mine works. It will only run its program from 5 volts alone utilizing the +5 supply pins on the board.) The "instructions" do not tell you that, saying that one need only switch from 'program' to 'run' to allow the program to commence. Mine does not work that way. Therefore I might have successfully programmed the chip several times but thought I had not because the test program would not work.

Following that learning experience, I can sit back and watch my LED blink merrily on, content in knowing I have conquerred that aspect of microcontrolling, but fearful of taking the next steps without considerable more study.

Hope sharing my experience helps.

Regards,
AllVol

Last edited:
Thanks, AllVol,
it certainly does help. I just checked my disk again, and there are only 4 pdf files on it. I think they screwed up on this one. (No big deal, though.) I can, on occasion, connect with the ETT website, but it loads very slowly. I wonder if they have the samples there for download.

I thought, reading another post by you, that you had this board, but didn't comment then.

I'm not sure about this one, but think that the reason you need to re-boot your board is because it uses the PLL. This is true on the 18Fxx PICs too.

Yes, it took me a while to figure out that winPic800 could be used in English. I was able to connect, but didn't have a program to download to the board at that time. I just assumed it would work if I could connect. I'll try downloading to see if it does work. On your advice, I downloaded the EPIC beta programming software. I'll try that too, but I see you have to pay, if you want the full featured program. I'm still planning on trying this with the OLimex board, though, as I would rather use ICD2.

They say that if you can flash an LED, you can control the world, so you are well on your way. <grin>

I'm still wondering were your 'handle' comes from. If I remember, it is from a children's story, but there it was spelled 'AlVol."

Thanks again,
Robert

OH! I just re-read; you have the '458 board. No matter, the boards from ETT are all the same. Futurlec has some good prices, and some which are not good. For example, I bought 50 NTC thermistors from them at the /25 discount for $.30 each. When I finally found the same thing here in Korea, I paid $.06 each in quantities of 1. (Futurlec is $.35/1!)

Last edited:
BeeBop said:
Well there is a cheap - $36.90 - development board here:
https://www.futurlec.com/dsPIC30F2010_Board.shtml
This comes with its own programmer, and it is supposed to come with some sample programs. (I never received these!)
The board is not too bad, and uses its own programmer, winPic800. Next time, though, I think I'd rather just order a chip - the dsPIC30F2010 is only $8.90/one - and an Olimex board. That would be cheaper, and I could use my ICD2 to program it.
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=18
for $15.95, or a USB one for $30.95:
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=19

I still haven't started, and would still like to come upon a good tutorial, so if you happen to find one, please let me know.

Thanks for the input Robert.. Will look at the links. I was looking for a reason
to get an Oilmex ICD2, this might be it.. I have the inchworm board Bill (Blueroom) did and was nice enought to share, but have not drilled it yet. I am putting a Mouser order together for stuff and a 877A is on there. :)

So a dsPIC30F2010 and Olimex ICD2 and I am good to go? Other than figuring the how to work the dsPIC30F2010? Or is there another Olimex DSP product I am missing?

I will let you know what I find. Was gonna go to microchip.com and look a bit tonight and hope there are apps note or something I can get a clue on.

Thanks
Mike

You guys are fast. AllVol and BeeBop. Two post while I posted. hehe.

OK, AllVol has an LED blinking. This is scary as we are looking to do DSP and I know AllVol can blink an LED without that chip.. I guess blink an LED, you can write to the chip and run it. :)

Hope these things are not that bad.. Blink an LED and control the world. Well, I was blinking them a long time ago. And probably Nigel before me. hahahha.. I rule nothing anywhere I know of.

Last edited:
Hi, Beebop

Gee, what time is it there? I have just about an hour of daylight left here.

Thanks for your comments on the PIC board. I think the WinPic800 and possibly the generic program will work, it just takes some, as we say here in the hills: "fiddlin'". (By the way, the local University of Tennessee athletic teams are known as "Volunteers", after the state's knickname. I am a big UT sports fan, hence, I am .... AllVol).

Bee, I'm going out on a limb here. A couple of comments you make sound as if you are having one of my initial problems. There is a lot of info on that disc, but not one mention about it. Perhaps you know all this, but there may be someone monitoring who hasn't figured it out yet. Assuming that is the case, let me run through it:

With the disc in place, go to My Computer (all this is for Windows... I'm using XP). Open the disc file labeled 060613-1234. Open file 18F458 Training board, if that's the one you have. There you will find these files: code samples, data sheets, manual (sorry I'm taking so long. I'm running between desktop and laptop, ...whew!), PSPI manual and software. Open any one of these for somewhat usable information. Open code samples, and you will find a lisiting of all the sample programs available. The test_led.hex program is the one I have been using.

Hope this helps further, BeeBop. Let's do lunch sometime.

AllVol

Last edited:
OK, ok, I'll try and answer in the order they came in.

but have not drilled it yet.
That was always my downfall; when younger, I turned out some nice pcbs, but always screwed them up when I drilled them!

So a dsPIC30F2010 and Olimex ICD2 and I am good to go?...Or is there another Olimex DSP product
I think so, but haven't tried it yet. The Olimex product I was referring to is the 28pin PIC development board, which can be used with the ICD2. The board I got from futurlec can't be used with this programmer. My ICD2 is one made here, under license, and it will work with the dsPIC. You should check on the Olimex clone, to be sure.

I was just at microchip's site, and downloaded a ton of app notes and source for the dsPICs.

It is 9:15, Sunday morning for me. I will climb the mountain with one of my Korean friends an hour or so from now. It is a beautiful sunny day, but this is the monsoon season, so anything can happen!

Some of my all-time favorite musicians come from "them thar hills!"

The board I got was for the dsPIC. I think they send out a different disk with each board, but the programmers are the same, so my mileage is a bit different.

I'd love to do lunch sometime!

Regards,
Robert

Hello, mramos1.

I knew that beebop is korean, sir, therefore the comment. Fun time, eh?

By the way, my work handle prior to becoming permanently retired was Amos. Do you you think we are related?

Good luck on your quest for microcontroller knowledge. Hope we can talk again. Watch out for Spurrier!!!

AllVol

beebop is korean
No, I'm a 'way guk in,' a foreigner. I'm from Canada, and have been here about five years. I still can't speak Korean very well!
But I think you should come here for lunch; the variety of food is wonderful, although Koreans like spicy food very much.

BeeBop said:
You should check on the Olimex clone, to be sure.

Will do.. Though you were talking about something extra.

I was just at microchip's site, and downloaded a ton of app notes and source for the dsPICs.

No tutorials, that was where I was gonna look.. Now I know to good look. :)

It is 9:15, Sunday morning for me. I will climb the mountain with one of my Korean friends an hour or so from now. It is a beautiful sunny day, but this is the monsoon season, so anything can happen!

Some of my all-time favorite musicians come from "them thar hills!"

8:34PM here Sat www.wptv.com/radar.html I am in the red color
under the word Boynton Beach (red is like small monsoon, at least the smallest of the day)). It will be like that here for months, everyday here. ...

Mine is Ramos. Retired from?? Or will you have to kill me. hehehe..

Good luck on your quest for microcontroller knowledge. Hope we can talk again.

I am looking at the DSP side of them. Only new to the PICS. Atmels, love them. Short version, just looking at how Microship has evolved.

Watch out for Spurrier!!!
He is a Traitor.. We will still kick SCs behind and Noles too.. Being them on.. And not talking Bball.. :)

Last edited:
AllVol said:
I knew that beebop is korean, sir,

and I knew when I read it online I was probably wrong. Sorry.

Lunch is on me.
AllVol

As in Spurrier, yes!!! And I fixed it.. hehehe.. Off to microchip to get what I what I can on DSPic.

Hey, AllVol,
it is all OK, good, no worries, but of course I'll take the 'free lunch!'
Mramos, you know what a good shower is like then. Does the humidity rise there during the summer too?
I love chatting here, but it is time to climb the mountain. I'll be back latter.
Regards,
Robert

More than humid here. Nothing like Canada. I worked for Mitel for 15 years (Kanata). Spent a lot of time up there. It was actually nice and dry compared to here. And cold too.

Enjoy mountains. Getting ready for bed here..

Well I sure don't miss the cold of Canada, but sometimes the humidity here is too much. In the next five or six weeks it will go up to very close to 100%, with temperatures in the 30s. Most of the local people prefer winter to summer, but because I come from such a cold place, think the opposite, even with such high temperature and humidity.
The thing I really miss, though, is the clean air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back