Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Piezo Film (PVDF) and Heatless Contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHarmonson

I am looking to connect lead and ground wires to a laminated piezo film (no rivets or solder leads) without using solder. The lowest temp on my iron melts the film. I need the contact to penetrate the lamination, so to use something like wire glue, I'd have to be crafty. Any ideas?

You answered your own question =O

Use a dremel tool or other abrasive method to carefully remove the lamination, clean well and then use the glue.
It should work for your needs. I've played with it a little because it was cheap and fill out an order I placed at a site, it's water based carbon doped glue. The biggest problem with it is is settles, so you really have to mix the stuff up good before using. Just playing around I used it to glue wires to a mechanical pencil lead to see how it would hold up to high temperatures, at first it bubbled, but I'd barely let it dry, the bubles were the moisture being driven off because the graphite lead heated up pretty good when I added a 12 volt supply. I controlled the pulses of 12 volts till it stopped bubbling (all the water had been driven off) Must have a pretty low effective resistance in bulk because the pencil lead melted in the center before the glue got hurt.

Last edited:
I have some pressure sensors that make a contact thru kapton to resistive element. They used something like a large staple with the conductive epoxy.

I have some pressure sensors that make a contact thru kapton to resistive element. They used something like a large staple with the conductive epoxy.

This will probably be the best bet for the material I am working with, but I might need to find a tiny stapler.

I think the staple is more for strain relief than anything else. Mine is really quite small, but thicker than a regular staple.

What's a regular staple?

Most staples look like this.

Attachments

• staple.png
    staple.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 183
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back