Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PLC or microcontroller in our factory which is the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rami00972

im using the micro from 2 years but im asking which is the better to use in the factory, i was speaking with a man have a good knowledge in micro controllers and plc's he told me that the micro controllers can get more noises from the interment than the plc.
i was trying to get some data from an encoder but it was a very nosies and did not give any real reading.
i just wonna to know if i should use the plc ore there is another way to use the micro controller in the our factory.
we are using a machine like this one in rollac company
in the video in about 3:40 sec "we have a vibration machine" so our encoder dose not read the correct pulses its connected in plc. im trying to belt a micro controller system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP6M4GZO63c
pls can we discuss this coz the plc is very expensive its about 600% of the micro controller

A PLC contains a microcontroller. A PLC also has the additional circuitry to
keep the noise away and the I/O is buffered (IE relays, optos etc)

PLC is MCU based which easier to use and to deal with
PLC is more stable and robust in industrial objects,and less sensitive to the hummidity, vibrations and temperory shutdown.

thats depends in your application and industrial plant
but for the cmplex applications the PLC is easier to use.
as example:plc is programmed in ladder diagram lang. which very easy to learn not like MCU which deal usually with instruction set languages like c,basic,V.net,assembly,
so thats depends in your application and plant

h.d said:
thats depends in your application and industrial plant
but for the cmplex applications the PLC is easier to use.
as example:plc is programmed in ladder diagram lang. which very easy to learn not like MCU which deal usually with instruction set languages like c,basic,V.net,assembly,
so thats depends in your application and plant

im already using the 8051 micro. and the plc will be the new thing. but i was told that the microcontroller will not work with machins as plc????????
but
when im using any thing making -reverse current- like DC motors ,contractors or relay's - im always using an isolated circuits. using a transistor and a diode, " if i can use this circuits like the schem..... can i control a machine like the one on youtube -in first message- is there is any noise will be on the micro and make it reset or some thing bad

Attachments

• R.JPG
    R.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 260
i see the vidio,
that machine based on PLC
about the motors it cuase an magnetic field which is huge noise for the MCU
and sometimes may destroy it.in plc there are very good isolation which make it robust in that applications which protect the cpu in addition to the opto-isolation for input and output units.

Last edited:
PLCs were designed to deal with the enviroments factorys produce. Alot of
the eletronics built into the PLC are extremely tough and provide a great
deal of noise isolation. Most use opto-couplers, traics and hardy relays.
Having used PLCs and Mico Contoller, PLC provide faster development and
easier to learn software then most Micros (in my opinnion anyway).
PLC are very common on factory floors because of this.

Go with PLCs for industrial applications. Vendor support is better and the hardware is already battle tested and can be supported for years and years by existing and new employees and local vendors.

Lefty

I know I am digressing.

I saw in the video they measure the legnth of pieces to be cut, with a metric tape! Industrial environment! How comes?

Or it is just for demonstration?

what's the theory of this pro , i mean can i use the other electronic ic's like bcd counter , adc or dac .
i now that there is ready blocks in the plc but i wonder to now if there is another prob with the electronic, and if you can describe why this prob is appear
thanks

Any modern PLC is certainly going to use a micro-controller (although probably not one as old as a 8051), but it's not just a micro, it's all the input and output circuitry and protection, and a program to make it emulate a PLC.

PLC's are much more expensive, but it contains a far amount of protective electronics, and it's designed for non-programmers to use.

Your application calls for a PLC, so you may as well buy one rather than attempt to create your own.

Rami00972 said:
i know but can i use the microcontroller

Surely...

but not one microcontroller as number of microcontrollers to be used for heavy applications...

Secondly,

PLC is not a single thing - software support meant for industrial automation also has to be interfaced for microcontrollers...

Hence,

now collection of microcontrollers along with software itself becomes a PLC...:)

Regards,

Simran..

Last edited:
Rami00972 said:
can i connect any aother ics to the plc in the future
like lm 358 "op amp"
adc
etc.....

You dont "connect other ICs" to a PLC.

PLCs can be a single unit with a defined number of inputs and outputs, or, they can be modular.
With a modular PLC, it is usual to have a backplane, a power supply and a processor module.
The power supply and the processor module are plugged into the backplane along with the required number of I/O modules needed for the particular application.

To control a machine in an industrial environment, use a PLC.
Yes it is more expensive than a micro controller, but for a very good reason, it is a fully engineered solution.
You dont have to build the I/O circuits, you dont have to code the program from scratch etc, etc.

You buy the hardware and the progamming software.
Wire up the hardware.
Write your use program (in a simple high level language)
Load the program into the processor
Run the machine (after debugging your program).

Replacement hardware is readily available, any someone who has to modify the machine in the future has an easily understandable program to edit.

Use a PLC.

If your existing PLC cant read an encoder, (if I understand your original post), FIX THE PROBLEM, dont redesign the control system.

JimB

PLC is nothing more than an Industrial micro controller that can interface with high voltages and is built to suit industrial needs. Furthermore, it follows a standard of Ladder Logic. Go with PLC if you can, they are very popular, and there are many people out there who know the PLC in Industry. Micro controller requires building all the interfacing, isolation, etc circuitry.

JimB said:
You dont "connect other ICs" to a PLC.
he machine in the future has an easily understandable program to edit.

Use a PLC.

If your existing PLC cant read an encoder, (if I understand your original post), FIX THE PROBLEM, dont redesign the control system.

JimB

We have the problem since first use with variable length but the problem is that the plc have a password, the plc was programmed in china, and the programmer forget the password, also i wasn't able to deal with plc put these days i learned the language of plc and how to deal with it, im searching for one to replace the old one and fix the problem.

but my Q is :
if i use an ADC module to measure the heat, it will be very expensive, can i use an ics like 0804 Instead of the module or its make the same problem as the microcontroller.

Last edited:
There must be a way to crack your existing PLC so it can be re-programmed.

I recommend doing a Google search on it.

Rami00972 said:
the plc was programmed in china, and the programmer forget the password,

Oh dear!
That nice cheap machine from China is not so cheap now!

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back