Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

please help this newbie regarding switching with a wireless remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

twofake

Hello,
I have been working on a project using a wireless remote and receiver board. The board outputs DC 5 Volts when toggling from zero volts when a remote button is pressed on and then pressed off. I am using a LM7805 to make sure the voltage to the wireless receiver is kept to 5 VDC.

I initially took the output from the wireless receiver and fed this to the collector of a BC548 transistor (emitter connected to ground and Collector connected to a relay coil). The other side of the relay coil connected to 12 V positive.
This would control the relay. Unfortunately i was using a mini relay and the relay contacts were not great so this idea is not working well.

Aim:
I need to switch 12 V DC power from one PWM current limiting board to a different PWM current limiting board and the current draw of one board is about 470 mA and the other board is about 30 mA.
Can someone please tell me if I can use a cheap and commonly found device like a triac to avoid the use of the relay as i have a lack of space to mount this as well?
Can i use a BT136-600E Through Hole Sensitive Gate Triac and if so, can someone please show me a circuit to use?
The PWM is Dc-Dc adjustable power supply module High-power LED constant current drive that i bought off ebay. I want to toggle between two settings (one limited at 470 mA and one limited at 30 mA but i did try toggling just the current limiting potentiometer and this was not successful as the resistance on the relay contacts made it very inaccurate and there were fluctuating current readings). I now am toggling between one whole Dc-Dc adjustable power supply module High-power LED constant current drive to the other whole Dc-Dc adjustable power supply module High-power LED constant current drive.
The power i am using is a Lithium battery pack so the wireless remote circuit sits inside the battery pack (as well as the two Dc-Dc adjustable power supply module High-power LED constant current drive boards) so that is why i have limited room for the Triacs or whatever you suggest.
Many thanks in advance.
:)

Providing you can use low-side switching I would suggest two modern logic-level N-channel MOSFETs rated for Rds(on) < 100mΩ and Vd > 30V, plus some logic to ensure one is on and the other is off.

Providing you can use low-side switching I would suggest two modern logic-level N-channel MOSFETs rated for Rds(on) < 100mΩ and Vd > 30V, plus some logic to ensure one is on and the other is off.

Thanks alec_t. I looked up what you suggested and they look like what i need. How can i set it up so that zero volts switches on one PWM board and 5 V switches to the other PWM board without relays? Any suggestions?:confused:

You could try this:
LoadSwitch.gif

Thanks. That circuit looks brilliant. Sorry about the newbie question but what are M1 and M2 and can the N MOSFET in this circuit be changed with an IRF Z44N with some other component changes of course ( because , after hearing about N MOSFETs I just bought ten of them to experiment with.

M1 and M2 are N MOSFETs, which need to be "logic-level" types as I said in post #2, so that they switch on fully with a gate voltage < 5V.
Unfortunately the IRFZ44N isn't that type. Its turn-on voltage is 4V; which means that it is only just beginning to turn partly on with a 4V gate voltage and would need ~10V to switch on fully. Try searching your electronics component supplier's website for 'logic level n mosfet'.

Many thanks again . Looks like I will doing some more research . The N MOSFETs I have already bought will come in handy for electronics testing and experiments .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back