Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thsuper1

I can't figure out why this mosfet I'm using won't turn on all the way... Anybody out there got any advice?

Tried a pull-up resistor arrangement, a transistor to drive it, a driver ic to drive it,(worked the best that way, clean 12v p-p to the gate, clean 2v p-p out.

the fet is an IRF510, driving with a tc4420 mosfet driver ic.

I appreciate anyone's input here.

Last edited:
You have to supply the rest of the circuit, how you drive a FET is completely determined by the load (and where it's placed) FETs are best when used to sink loads to low impedance grounds, a high side FET driver requires either isolation of the gate to produce the required GS voltage or a high voltage source that doesn't break the gate voltage limits but will still cause a full turn on. Mosfets as a sink load are so simple high side FET drives are seldom considered unless absolutly required.

With 12V P-P referenced to ground, how to you know it it not turning on all the way? Is the source connected to the same ground? If not, it should be. In other words, you want an N-channel mosfet on the low side, i.e., between the load and ground.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back