Possible issue with a simple op-amp amplifier for ADC application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsMike

Hey everyone.

As part of a project I need to be able to read a motor's current and the power supply's voltage.

I wanted to amplify the voltage drop on the current sense resistor (low side sensing) with an MC3303 op amp.

I chose this op amp because of it's high supply voltage. I need to power it with 28-32v.

Since I want to feed the voltage to an MCU's ADC I need the max voltage to be 5v or 1.1v (internal vref).

Now what I just realized is that the op amp is not rail to rail so even if the current through the motor is 0 the op amp will not output 0v.

How much will it output when the input is 0v ? and the supply voltage is 28 ? Can I get that info from the datasheet somehow ?

How can I overcome this and have a linear response ?

How much will it output when the input is 0v ? and the supply voltage is 28 ? Can I get that info from the datasheet somehow ?
I would expect the datasheet from a reliable manufacturer to include that info (I don't have the datasheet). Check the max and min ratings.

hi,
Look at the d/s extract, states it can swing to ground with a single supply and to within ~2V of the +V supply.

What is the lowest output voltage you are measuring ? and what is the load?

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    52.8 KB · Views: 145
Anyways, from looking at different manufacturers datasheet i realized that this op amp is exactly what i need.

I'm going to measure the current through a motor using a 0.1ohm resistor.
And the voltage drop on that resistor is going to be about 100mv (1A) and about 140mv (1.4A) peak.
I would also need to detect that the motor is not running by sensing current, the lower I could sense the better.

Now that I look deeper in the datasheet, I see the input offset voltage is 1-8mV. Could that be a problem when amplifying small voltages ? (5mv or so ?)
Can I fix the offset by using software calibration ?
Error= ADC result when (V=0).
True result= ADC result - error ?

What can I do if the input offset voltage is negative ? I don't feel like using an ADC with two voltage references.

Last edited:
hi Mike,
The only difference between the MC3303 and MC3403 is its operating temperature range, the clip you posted from the d/s applies to both the 3303 and 3403.

If you post your circuit perhaps we can suggest ways to null out the offset voltage, as you say, a software solution is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…