Possible next project for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippogriff

Hi all,

Over the last couple of years, I've become pretty much an electronics master at RGB LEDs with a PIC, so I now want to move on to other stuff

I was pondering whether my next investigation could be something involving a motor. I'm thinking about whether it would be possible to create a "chair spinner" for my reclining swivel chair... would it be possible to use my still very basic electronics knowledge to create a cheap, exciting, home-based ride? So I can just sit and relax in my chair and be spun around and around, probably until I puke...

I have little idea where to start... but I'm excited by the prospect. Is this crazy idea anything that anyone else has ever done? What kind of motor should I be looking at? Will 12v be enough to run this from, or would I need something more? Could I use a PIC to control the motor by PWM and set varying speeds, I think so. What kind of motor should I be looking at? Is this necessarily going to be large, or something miniature?

So many questions. Just looking for some thoughts, really... appreciate any coming.

I just wonder how the heck you will control this thing.
You will need sliprings to allow the thing to spin and still have controls.
One option would be to use wireless remote, or you will start the darn thing and wont be able to control it (brings some funny thoughts to mind)

for the motor you would need one with enough wattage rating to put up with moving the weight over it, i guess you could control it using PWM and a PIC interfaced with through a current amplifier enough to supply the motor, and you also need to consider a proper way of supplying the motor with enough power, a chair can't be plugged to a power outlet...

I'm imagining that the chair is moving around the room and not static at one point, so i guess it would seem rather 'freedom-capturing' because it would limit your freedom to relocate. Such idea would be more interesting if it had a different power source that is not always dependent on being plugged to an outlet all the time.

Last edited:
(like the ones used in the fisher paykel washing machines)

Now theres an idea, you could have a shower and sit in the chair for a spin dry.

It would put a new meaning to having a "bad hair day"

Pete.

Just for clarity, I do not want the chair to race all around the room, it will be static but would just spin around and around. I think a motor with some kind of belt drive would work for this. I'm obviously not sure where I'm going with this, so the ideas posted above are something that I will look into. When dougy83 said "scooter" I immediately thought of significant noise, I want it to be silent, or as quiet as is possible (within reason).

I think I have a long way to go on this.

Sounds like a lot of chasing your tail in this project ...so to speak

It makes me giddy just thinking about it.

The electric scooter motors would be well suited i think as they are geared for good torque, and no noise.

Pete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…