Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Dissipation in a resistor (pulsed signal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cava0035

I have two 1k ohm resistors in series.
The peak pulse current through either 1KΩ resistor is 137mA or the average pulse current is 68.5mA for 6uSec. every 2.777mSec.

The voltage is about 600Vac(rms).

What power rating should each resistor be?

Applying basic DC theory P=V*I = 600V * .137 = 82Watts. That's a large resistor. I was hoping to take into consideration the 6uSec. so I can use a much smaller wattage resistor. Can someone assist me?

thanks

600V across 2k ohms produces a current of 0.3A. The total power is 600 x 0,3A= 180W or 90W in each resistor.

The duty-cycle is only 6u/2.777m= 0.0022 so each resistor dissipates an average of 0.198w.

600V RMS is a peak voltage of 848V.
But a 1/4W resistor has a max allowed voltage of only 250V and a 1/2W resistor has a max allowed voltage of 300V. Look up the voltage ratings of 1W and 2W resistors then maybe high voltage resistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back