Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power factor change with frequency -What Relation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
240V,50 Hz electrical appliance is rated at 2KW and has a lagging power factor of0.7.

What is the appliance's power factor when it is used on a 60Hz supply?

what is the supply voltage required to maintain the appliance at its rated power when operated off a 60Hz supply?

Are these homework questions?

Hint: You can get the answers by drawing a vector diagram of the real and imaginary components of the power. That should clarify the concepts (just giving you the answers wouldn't :D).

ok, I am getting the impedance to be 28.8+j28.2. So with the new frequency, I go about calculating the new X value. That is 60/50 times j28.2 = j 33.8. With this I calculate using vectors the power factor to be 0.63. That's working out. And With the new power factor, the new VA and new VAR is also found...
But here's my confusion: There's the formula R=V^2/P, so i apply X=V^2/Q (reactive power); I already know my new Q, through the new power factor..Now I try to check my answer : Q=V^2/X, but that's counter-productive! because With my higher Q, I need a higher X but this is formula Q= V^2/X gets me wrong.. R/Z and P/S are the same ratio right??

Have you allowed for S being greater at 60Hz because you then have X=j33.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back