Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Limiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TristanH

I need to limit the draw of a circuit to 3 amps (at 9v). I want a simple (and cheap!!) solution- anyone got any ideas?
Thanks

Power resistor? E/R=I

Since you know the current you want, a better formula would be E/I=R (I'll assume you know the voltage, you have given the current, the only unknown is the resistor).

Last edited:
Power resistor? E/R=I

Since you know the current you want, a better formula would be E/I=R (I'll assume you know the voltage, you have given the current, the only unknown is the resistor).

hi janagyjr,
I 'think' what the OP is asking how to current limit to 3A with a Vout of 9V, ?

I need to limit the draw of a circuit to 3 amps (at 9v). I want a simple (and cheap!!) solution- anyone got any ideas?
Thanks

Tristan, let's make sure we understand your question.
Are you asking for an active electronic current regulator circuit?
That protects the power supply?
That Protects the load?

TristanH,

Any time someone refers to a "9V" power source I automatically assume they are talking about a PP3 rectangular 9V battery. Is that what you're using? If that's the case you will never get 3A out of it...well maybe if it's a NiCad.

Ken

Hi guys,
I am using a power supply but need to limit the current draw to 3A to protect the supply.
I think that misterT's solution might well do what I need, but I think that a bread boarding session might be required to make sure that I am right!
Thanks for your help everyone!

Here is my circuit. Note the temperature dependence. Also note that unless you put it inside the voltage regulation loop of the basic voltage regulated power supply, it will degrade the voltage regulation. This circuit does this much better than the one Mr T linked to...

Attachments

• HighSideLim.png
    HighSideLim.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back