Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply Design - Is there a cheaper way? Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel Goodwin said:
FusionITR said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
I would suggest replacing D4 and D5 with a bridge?, a half wave rectifier isn't much good at 50/60Hz - a bridge as two full wave rectifiers is MUCH better.

Do you mean replace both D4 and D5 with a single bridge or a bridge bridge replacing each diode?

I ask this because I need to be able to rectify a negative voltage for the negative voltage regulator (the -5V output). If I replace D4 and D5 with a bridge I wont be able to do this.

You do the same as D2 and D3, that's a full wave rectifier, add two more to give the negative half as well - it's normal to use a bridge to do so.

Sorry, to be mean, but if you don't understand such a simple basic circuit perhaps you shouldn't be looking at vastly more complicated switchmode regulators?.

I understand half-wave, full-wave, and bridge rectifiers, (the basics anyway). As far as swicthing regulators, I have to start from somewhere if I want to learn, saying "i dont know anything I give up" is not gonna help me understand them any better :wink: Pouring over the datasheets and asking questions will.

As far as what you are saying, what I am confused about is how you get the negative part of the wave in a bridge rectfier configuration to go to the negative voltage regulator. Maybe I'm just confused by the way youre wording it, do you mind putting up a quick schematic of what you are talking about?

If I replace D4 and D5 with a bridge I wont be able to do this.

Here is what Nigel is suggesting. I don't know about the transformer voltage though. I think things could get hot for the -5V regulator at full load.

Attachments

• test_206.gif
    test_206.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 236
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back