Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programing the Atmel ATtiny13

Status
Not open for further replies.

iONic

Does anyone have the eqiupment to program the Atmel ATtiny13.
Datasheet here: https://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/atmel/2535S.pdf

I have all the code, but no device to program the chip. I was wondering if
anyone that has the ability to code these chips might do it for me for some form of mutual compensation.

Please let me know if you might be able to free some time to help me out.

I appreciate it greatly!

Brian

I have a the programmer, but I sent all the tiny13's I had back. Sorry. Use a simulator and see if it works, then pop for some chips and a programmer.

mramos1 said:
I have a the programmer, but I sent all the tiny13's I had back. Sorry. Use a simulator and see if it works, then pop for some chips and a programmer.

What was wrong with the tiny13's?

Turned out the Atmel Tiny 13's I ordered had the fuse bits wrong from the factory and I could not program them (sort of like Microchip mailing a PIC with MCLR set to internal pull-up and the internal OSC turned on using an ICD2).

It was a rush project, I mailed them (ATMEL), and after a couple weeks sent them back, then they called to tell me the problem.

It was too late at that point as I went the PIC way.

Atmel makes a very nice chip. But if I can not count on support when I need it I felt I needed to look at something else (I have used them for more than 5 years, but they let me down; and it was my first call to them which speaks for the chip).

With the PIC, I can ask a question here (electro-tech-online.com) and get an answer the same day and they do not get paid by Microchip either.

Last edited:
You can get AVR answers from AVrfreaks.net... I wouldn't ditch them because of one bad experiance like that, most of the users there are fanatical and have been through almost every concievable situation. Atmel is going through a bit of a rough time right now though.

I've had an account with AVRfreaks for a long time.

There is more to me leaving Atmel, it started with the Tiny11 and my STK-500 not being able to handle them per the manual. Then flipping to the Tiny13 (the F629 of the F509 in the PIC world) and the project was very delayed. At that point I felt I needed Atmel to explain and could not contact them. It was a major waste of my time and chose to go back to the Microchip for now.

I consider the Atmel chip faster, easier to program, no MLCR issues, etc. But my time is worth something to me too. Just my choice, it chips I used worked for me until the Tiny11/13 issue.

The Tiny13 seems to be a tough little chip. I just started learning microcontrollers last month, haven't destroyed one yet in the process. I tend to take short cuts, and seldom double check stuff. Tried to program it a bunch of times, with it being one row off in the ZIF socket, failed to program of course...

Haven't messed with the fuses anymore than I figured neccessary, but it's always been reversible. I'm using AVR Dragon, but don't have the cables to program in any other mode, besides in the on board ZIF. I do have some ribbon cable and 10 pin header sockets, but yet to get around to putting it together.

I made 10 pin, one with jumper clips and one with a chip clip for the more popular PICs. You shoud make them, it saves some time. The chip clip is great, I clip in and program it. On the ATMEL it is STK-500, overkill for sure.

Is the dragon like the jtag? ICD and debugger? Or just a programmer?

It's suppose to do it all, but have tried anything beyond HV onboard with the Tiny13. Not all chips support all modes, obviously 8 pins can't. Got it because it was USB, and wasn't sure which programming mode I'd end up using most, figured in system.

Chip clips sound great, I've got a few in a junkbox some place. Pretty sure they are buried deep, never had a use for them, but seemed useful at the time (20 some years ago, college...).

Anyway, the AVR Dragon was $49 from Digikey, shipping was under $4 (thought it would be more...), no cables, no Zif socket, and some header pins if you want (2x5, and 2x20). Software is free download. Cables turned out to be the biggest hang-up getting started, guessing most people get those with devopment boards and earlier programmers, which I skipped...

Damn, forgot why I was posting this thread, again... Guess I figured the origionator would have returned...

Just curious why he wanted to get somebody else to program his chips. Seems for the price of shipping back and forth, he could buy some sort of programmer. No location, so not likely he'll find help. I don't have enough experience to promise success, though haven't had any failures I couldn't immediately fix.

I think I will sell the STK-500 and get a dragon. The STK-500 is more of a proto board. I have never used it for that.

mramos1 said:
I think I will sell the STK-500 and get a dragon. The STK-500 is more of a proto board. I have never used it for that.

Do some research, I have nothing to compare it with. I jumped in totally green, and no major problems, but haven't really done anything advance. I'm happy with my choice.

Not sure if this is correct or accurate, but with the Zif and HV programming, you can change any fuse or lock bit, you must erase protected chips to reuse them. Hasn't been an issue, so never tried, but haven't seen any warnings that would lead me to believe there is anyway to permently lock a chip, just prevents peeking or copying...

Nigel Goodwin said:
His IP address comes from Newton, Massachusetts.

How do you do that? Get the IP address, then actual location? Is that a moderator option, or can anyone do it? Couple of years ago, when I had a spam problem, I wanted to track some down. Haven't had any since I switched ISPs, but curious.

HarveyH42 said:
How do you do that? Get the IP address, then actual location? Is that a moderator option, or can anyone do it? Couple of years ago, when I had a spam problem, I wanted to track some down. Haven't had any since I switched ISPs, but curious.

Members IP addresses are visible to moderators, and I do a reverse DNS lookup.

Incidently, your IP gives:

United States [City: Reston, Virginia]

Mine, because I'm currently at work, gives the actual domain name, because we have a fixed IP address - although it gives the City as London, because our ISP is hosted there.

Last edited:
Programmer needed...

I bought the Tiny13's but know nothing about programming them. I got the
"code" from a website for several projects. Plus I don't have the equipment to do the programming.

Idealy I am looking for someone in the USA to do this work, sending the chips would cost next to nothing. I have created a temprary email address for anyone who might have enough experience and would like to help out.
The email address is: tiny13@nyms.net

Hope to hear from you.

Brian

I could sell you my stk-500 cheap and mail it to you, it is light (oh, the wall wart is not light). And I can send you the programming software and will walk you though programming them :D as I no longer use it. AVRStudio is easy.

Where is the website for this program, I will look at it and help if all legit (legal). Even if you want to mail them here and back.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Members IP addresses are visible to moderators, and I do a reverse DNS lookup.

Incidently, your IP gives:

United States [City: Reston, Virginia]

Mine, because I'm currently at work, gives the actual domain name, because we have a fixed IP address - although it gives the City as London, because our ISP is hosted there.

So the IP isn't the actual location of the user? Virginia is hundreds of miles away. I'm in Florida, really.

mramos1,

The site where the Tiny13 projects are is here: http://www.ullasmann.eu/
click on the AVR Tiny13 link. There are a few I would like to try, namely the two CES designs.

According to the STK500 User Guide it only supports the tiny 11, 12, 15,22,
26, 28.
It doesn't mention the tiny13. Maybe it was released later than the document I downloaded.

What are you looking for the used STK500.

Tiny13 is in the list. And Atmel told me (after I mailed the tubes of chips back) it was the fuse bits set wrong.

I would rather have the dragon unit even though it has no cables, no sockets and no LED/buttons. I will make all that. I did for my PIC ICD2, that is not a problem for me.

The STK is good to burn the chips (a programmer not and ICD) and also learn via all the stuff on it (LEDS/button, etc). I just need ISP/ICD and really just ISP.. The STK500 is really overkill for me. I have never used the develpment part. I pasted what they had on the web and I did not pay $79 for mine.. PM me if you are interested. I still have Mega8, 1200A and 2313's I might need to use one day.. So a dragon will allow me to do what I need. Or order a dragon and I will swap you.. Either way. I just want to be able to do Atmel chips in the even I go back to them later. They make a a nice chip.

Look at the dragon, though it sounds like you need to know Atmel to get it running and make some cables, as it does not have all the sockets to program the STK500 has. To use the STK it is look at the book (lastest on the net as then add chips), move jumpers if needed, plug in chip (into the socket they tell you too, and burn via AVRStudio (after you pick the device and fuse bits).

I can mail you the lastest STK-500 manual, I pulled it maybe 6 months ago to do the Tiny13. Sure I have it in my download directory..

From the web..

"Evaluation tools are available now. The STK500 starter kit, priced at $79, contains all the necessary hardware to evaluate programs and test the capabilities of the tiny13 and tiny2313."

I paid a LOT more than $79 for it FROM DIGIKEY.. Who I no longer buy from :)

EDIT: The link to where I picked that up. http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/view_detail.asp?ref=&FileName=tinyAVR.html&Family_id=607

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back