Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programing the Atmel ATtiny13

Status
Not open for further replies.
HarveyH42 said:
So the IP isn't the actual location of the user? Virginia is hundreds of miles away. I'm in Florida, really.

Yes, just the ISP, where your current IP address happens to be hosted, like I said with a fixed IP it resolves to your actual URL, and you can get the actual address it's registered to from that.

I got a question that kind of relates to this thread so I figured I'de ask it here instead of making another one. I'm about to plave my order for a STK500 and was wondering if theres anyway I can program chips on it in C or preferably C++ because I haven't really used C all that much. Thanks

The STK500 is a programmer for most of the Atmel AVR chips.

You write in ASM, C, BASIC and generate a HEX file (machine code) and use the STK-500 to burn the chip. I does HV parallel, Serial, etc. It also has switched and such to play on the board rather than make a breadboard.

If you are going to get into the AVRs, look at the dragon. I want to sell my STK500 and get a fragon so if I ever go back to Atmel, I will have ICSP/debug, the Inchworm/ICD2 stuff has spoiled me.

well yeah but the atmel dev program it comes with is capable of C right? Because personally I'd prefer to use high level languages until I have to use assembly, mainly because I find asm a pain. Are there any prgrams that let you program in C++? The main reason for me asking that is because I'm used to the commands in C++ and they change alittle in C such as input and output in C++ are cout<< and cin>> while they are something like printf or something in C and I would prefer to stick to what I know and not have to relearn basically the same thing using different words

Atmel ASM is not hard at all.. But C and BASIC are nice. I too like "if THIS = THAT then" myself.

But you are talking about AVRStudio. Not the STK500. The STK-500 is a programmer development board. I do not use C. I guess I could load it and look, but I always made my .HEX file and used the STK500 to burn the chips.

You can write in any language, then you compile it to a .HEX file, then open that with AVRStudio and select the STK-500, plug in your chip, set the fuse bytes, and program the chip. So yes you can.

Same sequence for the pic, different program and programmer.

Atmel's software only comes out of the box ready for ASM. It does however support the AVR-GCC C compiler, which is hugely popular. It's also free, so you're C ready after installed AVR-GCC and configuring it to work with AVRStudio. once AVR-GCC is setup properly you can use AVRStudio exclusivly, it just uses AVR-GCC to comile the code instead of it's internal assembler.

ok thanks. Yeah Nigel I knew it had no relavance but the commands are different between C and C++ and I didn't want to have to relearn stuff. Thanks guys I appreciate it

C++ is basically just an object oriented extension to standard C. C++ C Java no matter what you've programmed in before as long as you know basic C syntax you can learn to program embeded C.

I have owned a couple of STK500 boards since April 2006 and I have had a blast using them to program several members of the AVR microcontroller family.

"C" is my primary programming language. I use the free "C" tools that have already been referred to in early replies. I mostly use the ATMEGA16 for the stuff I do.

I haven't explored PIC microcontrollers yet. That will be my next project.

hgmjr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back