programming current

Status
Not open for further replies.

antpsai

Can someone tell me how much current is needed while burning a PIC 16F628. I have scanned a lot of data sheets from Microchip but all that I could find was that the _MCLR/Vpp (4) pin takes insignificant current. Presumably the current is being supplied by the Vdd pin (14), but how much?

I'am a newbe. Just completed my first pic programmer based on a popular parallel port design.
Since I intend to use it for the 16F628 up to now, I've made some changes: Basically I've removed the 7805 and 7812 (or 7808) regulators and the PNP transistors.
Raw dc is 15V.
Vcc for the 7406 is supplied by 220R + 5.1v zener.
Vdd for the PIC is supplied by 560R + 5.1v zener.
Vpp for the PIC is supplied by 10K + 12v zener.

My programmer works fine, but I don't know if I operating in the limits.

The Vpp current is very low, although I don't believe a figure is actually given?. In the later devices (like the 16F628) it's essentially just a voltage, which tells the PIC to switch to programming mode. On older devices they actually drew the current for programming through the Vpp pin - so they needed to have a relatively high current capability.

If you're concerned, I suggest you use a meter and measure the current it takes?.

Thanks for the quick reply.
However my concern was not for the Vpp pin. The data sheet says it takes no current, so that why I put a 10K pullup, and I'm happy with that.

It's the Vdd current (while burning) that I can't find data on.

antpsai said:
Thanks for the quick reply.
However my concern was not for the Vpp pin. The data sheet says it takes no current, so that why I put a 10K pullup, and I'm happy with that.

It's the Vdd current (while burning) that I can't find data on.

As I said above, measure it!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…