Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project help...OpAmp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ak_mcv

I'm in need of some assistance with a circuit. I'm making an anti collision system for a device. I intend on using a distance sensor and a comparator op amp. Just imagine its for a toy car and when it gets too close to an object the motor stops.. Now I dont know much about electronics just slight basics, could someone tell me how to interface the sensor with the opamp. Maybe some advice on a sensor that is good and if there is any circuit diagrams. Thanks. Sorry if i'm being to vague. It doesnt even have to be a comparator i thought that would be the best solution but i dont know much lol.

It all depends on how you want the car to behave. Shall it stop engine when closing a wall, or should it reverse? How close to the wall shall the car go before it detect it?

There is a lot of aspects to know. When those things is clear, we can begin to discuss circuit planning. It's even possible you can achieve the car to behave without use of any opamps.

Here is a solution without involving much electronics.

Mount a pivoting bumper (spring loaded for the neutral position) on the front and rear end of the car and use two micro switches at the outer edges.

If the car hits an obstactle, reverse the motor and have the car steer 90deg off its original track. (The backing up should be timed)

After reversing the motor rotates again for the forward movement of the car.

Using that method the car won't hit the same obstacle twice.

Don't think about possible damage to furniture. Your wife might already take care of that by bumping the vacuum cleaner against them. :D

Boncuk

There are a lot of ready-made "proximity switch" devices out there that might work. I googled proximity switch and got a few circuits. The ones using infrared reflective sensors seem the best, but honestly, if you don't know much about electronics, consider buying something ready-made or in kit form. Here is one site I stumbled across with a few (not an endorsement, I've never done business with them):
Sensors - RobotShop.ca

Thanks for that site will look into it now. I'm building a scale model so all i want from the car is when it comes in close proximity (not decided on distance,10cm maybe) to the wall it will just stop. Dont worry about obstacles from the sides as it will just be going straight. So imagine a remote controlled car going towards a wall and when it gets to that distance proximity it will cut off the engine/ apply braking. I was just going to use a comparator op amp as i thought it would be simple, but i have no clue as to draw up diagrams. Just looking for some advice. Feel free to email me any info to ak_mcv@hotmail.com thanks.

Just thinking that maybe the best sensor to use is some sort of ultra sonic one. I need a type of sensor circuit that i can set the trip out point, say 10cm but i need to be able to choose the trip out point. Thinking maybe by calculating pulses or something maybe. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back